Brute Force Monitor doesn't work

jeroen48

Verified User
Hello Everyone,

After i log into DIrectAdmin and choose Brute Force Monitor nothing happens.
It keeps loading and finally timeout message.

This happended after i followed the following guide:

http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=380

Last command executed before i saw the problem was:

Code:
touch /root/exempt_ips.txt

Running DirectAdmin 1.40.1 on Centos 5 x64

Hope someone knows the answer, getting alot of bruteforce emails lately and want to finish the tutorial above.

Thank you in advance.

You probably made an error somewhere. Why dont you reverse what you did to find out if in fact there is a misconfig somewhere. Reverse it then load it. Does it still timeout?

You probably made an error somewhere. Why dont you reverse what you did to find out if in fact there is a misconfig somewhere. Reverse it then load it. Does it still timeout?

Just reversed eveything, iptables from backup and restarted iptables.
Still can' t access brute force monitor option, any other idea's?

Just reversed eveything, iptables from backup and restarted iptables.
Still can' t access brute force monitor option, any other idea's?

Show what you've got there: logs, screen-shots.
You might need to run directadmin in debug mode and see why the things don't work as you expect them to work.

Wich log you want to see?

DirectAdmin error log is showing:

Code:
2012:01:25-10:12:42: Socket write error: Unknown error
2012:01:25-10:55:40: Socket write error: Unknown error
2012:01:25-11:28:01: Socket write error: Unknown error

I (personally) don't want to see any logs until I understand what exactly is wrong in your particular case.

If the issue is related to timeout, then you need to search the forums (use Google for example with site:directadmin.com), as it was already discussed here many times; to be short, you need to empty a file with brute-force entries, and/or increase timeout in directadmin.

I don't know for sure if it is timing out... DEBUG mode in DA gives me the following...

Code:
/CMD_BRUTE_FORCE_MONITOR
GET string: sort1=-1
 0: Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
 1: Accept-Language: nl
 2: Accept: image/gif, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-
excel, application/msword, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/vnd.ms-pow
erpoint, application/x-ms-application, application/x-ms-xbap, application/vnd.ms
-xpsdocument, application/xaml+xml, */*
 3: Connection: Keep-Alive
 4: Cookie: session=dPfKTovnPkAMPtlF5cOSdaw0WVxN0xDdMrvpfqc2YmPwd8BikX9N55MbYJxZ
G8Aa
 5: Host: **.***.**.***:2222
 6: Referer: http://IP:2222/
 7: User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.2; Trident/4.0;
.NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; MS-RTC EA 2; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 3.0.450
6.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
 8: Via: 1.1 SVRISA01
Checking referer http://IP:2222/ to IP:2222
Referer check passed: IP=IP 2222=2222
Command::doCommand(/CMD_BRUTE_FORCE_MONITOR)
Command::doCommand(/CMD_BRUTE_FORCE_MONITOR) : finished
Command::run: finished /CMD_BRUTE_FORCE_MONITOR

I already searched Google and found alot of topics, but not the answer, already changed admin settings etc.. Not working!

Currently debugging is set to 2000, but i don't see any errors... Raise ( how much?? )
Are there any other files used to read when you click brute force button other then "brute_force_entries.list"?
The file brute_force_entries.list is currently empty but the page still times out....

Any other idea's?

Back