DirectAdmin v1.63.9 has been released

Both DA install and DA upgrade scripts makes sure /home/tmp is 1777 so it is not directly related to this upgrade. If anyone is able to find this issue again please fill a ticket in our support system. We will be able to investigate the issue further.
Is da p equal to the ./set_permissions.sh all command? Because only this command fixed it for me on a fresh Debian installation. For some reason I'm not getting this error on CentOS but this might be happenstance because I wasn't able to figure out a pattern when this error occurs but for now, if it occurs, it was always on Debian/Ubuntu.

Not really. Command da p fixes permissions of DA owned files at /usr/local/directadmin and ensures configured directory structure exists (creates or fixes /var/log/directadmin, /home/tmp, /var/spool/virtual, /etc/virtual if needed). It is needed because extracting DA installation or upgrade tarball creates root owned files while DA service expects them to be owned by system account diradmin.

Script ./set_permissions.sh on the other hand takes care of fixing user owned files in user home dirs as well it takes much longer and covers large portion of the files in the file system. But both takes care of ensuring permissions for /home/tmp.

Good afternoon,

I believe this version has introduced a bug with the Wordpress Manager.

When I create a new Wordpress installation on a new account, if I select "create new" database, the database username is not selected in the select box after being created. If I select "use existing" the database list provides two different options but they are JSON objects, the username field is selectable.

Attempting to proceed produces an "Invalid database credentials" screen, but still installs files in the user home folder.

Let me know if you need more information on this.

Version1.63.9 (build d70b0dc358e928045ca87a791ec0be9bc1a4734a)
DA build for OSlinux_amd64
Detected server OSrhel8_amd64
Uptime14 minutes, 9 seconds
Update Channelcurrent
Evolution Versionmaster-1958 (build efc8475147f5428afab19ceb3a583213e413d031)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 12.20.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 12.20.15 PM.png
    177.4 KB · Views: 10
thanks @simplificare we confirmed the regression on Wordpress Manager and pushed Evolution update to address the issue. New build ID is d211222a4e7c7fd004bb81f8e1da54e09a46104d.

So, when is 1.63.9 expected to be stable - as in not finding any more bugs or issues?

This is kind of what I hate about not having a stable branch. I'm just following this thread and waiting for the number of bugs and issues to die down before I upgrade to 1.63.9.

Seems to me that there is real big issue with beta testing these releases. They get developed in an R&D department but it's only until they get out into the real world when bugs and flaws are identified. Don't get me wrong, this is likely going to happen with any software release - DirectAdmin is no different. But seems it might be a good idea for DirectAdmin to incentivize "beta testing" releases in a production environment before releasing it out to the general public. Perhaps a price discount for licenses that run these new releases in a "beta testing environment" so that bugs and flaws can be identified before it goes out to the general public.

Of course, if the discount is not enough to entice a larger segment of DirectAdmin licensees or if those licensee aren't actually using DirectAdmin in an environment to identify bugs and flaws - then I'm not sure how well this would work.

Just seems that with every release there's at least 3 or 4 weeks of constant tweaking until the release has most of the bugs worked out.

I guess everyone wanting a more stable, "I don't have time to deal with these bugs" experience can do what I'm doing and just wait for all of the constant tweaking to subside.

@sparek there are no more known issues specific to 1.63.9 release. However there are always fixes and improvements we make in the background which will get released in a new version. For example alpha release channel already have two fixes for Evolution that was lurking there for a long time before it got reported and fixed. They will get released in the next release.

You are right about beta release channel having negligible audience compared to the current release channel and thus we do not see the issues until they get wider deployment no matter how long we keep them in beta. Right now we usually keep release in beta for 2-3 days before pushing to current.

I must say this release was a little bit special because we made big code refactoring in both Evolution skin and DA backend and we anticipated to get more issue reports than usual. We are working towards making more smaller releases rather than accumulating a lot of changes for big occasional releases.

Rather than waiting before manually upgrading the system I would recommend switching on the DA auto-update feature (introduced in DA 1.63.5) with da config-set autoupdate 1 --restart. These auto-updates are being rolled-out gradually so most of the time when you receive an update it will have most of the issues reported and fixed. You can also be sure you will get all the fixes reported even after you got the update without manually tracking them.

For anyone using old cron based auto-updates (daily or weekly dataskq task triggering the update) I would recommend replacing it with the built-in auto-update mechanism. Just disable the cron job entry and make sure autoupdate=1 is in directadmin.conf with da config-set autoupdate 1 --restart.

@bdacus01 permission fix command is used internally for updates and new installs. Under normal circumstances there is no need to execute it manually. It is mentioned in our CLI tool usage help message da -h.

permission fix command is used internally for updates and new installs.
it is available to the root user to run. The usage and purpose should be fully documented for all.

In general the entire system, all tools, scripts and function all be fully documented. Every inch of the entire system.

One minor thing I have noticed, is that the inactivity timeout used to return to the login screen. Currently on build d211222a4e7c7fd004bb81f8e1da54e09a46104d it just stays where you last were until you click on something and then it shows the login page. I'm not sure which revision it changed.

Additional side effect I have noticed, is a possible JavaScript memory leak. Have had tabs that were left for a few days, more or less lock up the tab. This has happened on Chromium 102.0.5005.27 and Chrome 101.0.4951.41

This is kind of what I hate about not having a stable branch.
When I look using the DA GUI, I see four options, alpha, beta, current and stable. Right now, I also see for the stable build:

1.63.7 (build 0575ae2c4a8994cabff0dd224f158e53fbc1f29c) Changelog

Hello,

After the update from 1.63.7 build 0575ae2c4a8994cabff0dd224f158e53fbc1f29c to 1.63.9 build 0bffb6940ea24c1c95dc7cf4c398811c15b05957 a new menu item has appeared "Plugins" with Featured Applications from Installatron (user level).

Are there any methods to hide it or change it's name ? I have tried Evolution Skin customization menu but there is no option to hide "Plugins".DA-163-9.png

Hi everyone!

We are really happy to announce that we have released DirectAdmin 1.63.9.

This is again a big release for us 🎉🕺. This release adds support for imapsync tool (PRO PACK), which allows to easily import or export email from 3rd party providers. Under the hood we have a lot of changes in Evolution skin, we are now gradually switching to a new DirectAdmin REST API. Evolution now loads faster because it gets a more fine grained access to the data and retrieves required data concurrently. New API will make integration with DA much easier as we are providing industry standard API specification in Swagger format. Please note that new API is not yet stable meaning it can change in the next releases, but it will be marked as stable once it covers more of the core DA functions. This release also includes fixes for a handful of nasty bugs and general quality of life improvements like da alias for DirectAdmin CLI calls 🚀.

Release Change log can can be found here:

DirectAdmin 1.63.9

The update should be automatically available for all installations subscribed to the current release channel.

We appreciate all the feedback on forums and issues reported in the ticketing system.

Thanks!
fln
ATTENTION DIRECT ADMIN

We license Direct Admin via our Hosting company "Interserver," who supposedly has a ticket in with DA. I am unable to fill out a ticket because I do not have the license inf required to create a ticket.

Ever since the last update when we try to log in to our server the login loops and will not let us in. We have sought help from our hosting provider, and they are either unable or unwilling to help us gain access to our client's websites. This leaves our only hope of resolving the issue is through DA. WE CANNOT FILL OUT A TICKET.
We have lost multiple clients who are threatening to sue us because we cannot furnish them with their files and database. Our only choice moving forward is to retain counsel and let them sort out where the responsibility lies with this massive failure.

DIRECT ADMIN >>> WE NEED ACCESS TO OUR SERVER AND WE CANNOT FILL OUT A TICKET.
--

So ask your admin to solve this, or use managed servers/hosting.
or ask hoster to write ticket to DA support.

So ask your admin to solve this, or use managed servers/hosting.
or ask hoster to write ticket to DA support.
They said they did and they are waiting for DA's next update, which I will be out of business by that time. Our clients are already threatening to sue us

They said they did and they are waiting for DA's next update, which I will be out of business by that time. Our clients are already threatening to sue us
in such case - read how to use ssh and try to check logs in /var/log/

Back