EXIM does not function properly after reboot. Does not send mail. BUG.

needhelppp

Verified User
Recently I have reinstalled my DirectAdmin server, and added Easy Spam Fighter with BlockCracking to the setup as well. And what I have noticed is that for Mail (EXIM) to work properly after server reboot, I have to do "Update Exim configuration files" (which at the end restarts exim and it takes like 2 minutes to do so!), otherwise it just doesn't send mail and has other issues.

I've been noticing a lots of bugs latelly, and to be honest, Im getting a bit dissapointed with DA. How can they NOT TEST these things??

I assume these are SIMILAR or SAME issues posted here:

I will try to disable Easy Spam Figther, and see if that changes anything. Will let you know if it does.

Thanks.

OK, so I'm not a big technical guy, so I just analyse and say what I see from a simple home user perspective:

I have tried to remove Easy Spam Fighter - issue remains.
I have tried to remove BlockCracking as well - issue remains.

So I assume the issue is in Exim itself. Possibly a buggy new version, or some element of it is not working right with some other element of DirectAdmin.
Any other input would be appreciated. Especially from Martynas or other DA admins.

ALSO it seems that "Update Exim configuration files" is not needed to temporarilly fix that issue. After system reboot I have to restart Exim manually, which, As I mentioned earlier, takes a VERY long time, but after that mail sending seems to be working fine. So clearly problem is with Exim...

Continueing testing...
Thanks

It would help to know what OS, DA version, Exim version.

Oh, ofcourse. Pardon.

Centos 8.2 (fully updated)
DirectAdmin 1.61.3 (newest stable)
Exim 4.94 (according to DA - assuming thats the newest version)
eximconf_release 4.5 selected

How do I downgrade it? It seems like that is the only possible fix for that, since no one is doing anything about it for a while now (by looking to other threads of this issue).

Thanks!

Confirming again, that Exim does not send emails anymore after server reboot, and needs to be restarted manually (which takes about 2 minutes) to start working as it's supposed to.

With assist of kind man names Richard, I have found out how to downgrade Exim to 4.93. This version seems to be working fine, even after reboots of the system.
Still, something has to be done about 4.94 version and its support in DirectAdmin...

Thanks again Richard!

What I have noticed now, is that after reinstalling Exim 4.93 none of my email boxes actually support DKIM anymore. Even though it is SET UP, and there are DKIm txt records in DNS, it doesnt show up on received end. I have tried to send to gmail and protonmail, and both say dkim - none. (on gmail it just does not show dkim at all).

Strange things happening...

Maybe someone would suggest what to do here? ;/

Thanks

I am running 4.94 on several servers on CentOS 7 and DA 1.61.3. No problems. Sorry I can't help any further.

Maybe. The fact remains that DirectAdmin is not tested itself properly and has not tested items that it claims it supports and offers to users...

It might work fine for them. The community has to do the testing. Look at all the problems both Microsoft and Apple has when they have a new release. I am sure they tested their stuff extensively but yet people still have problem. That is the nature of the business. So just because it doesn't work well for a few people that doesn't mean that it wasn't tested.

hi this is not an DA problem
this has to do with downgrade of the exim and exim.conf
do a search on the forum and you can find the post with the solution
something with dkim.conf out the top of my head

Active8. Well on a version 4.94 (newest) there is an issue with exim, which does not send mail and clogs the mail queue, thats why I have downgraded to 4.93, which send mail properly (i hope someone has reported that issue for exim and they are working on it), but now I DO have an issue with DKIM, which does not work at all anymore. You say there is a solution for both these problems somewhere?

Thanks

Here is this solved:

Thanks for the link, but I'm not sure how that would solve DKIM issue and especially Exim 4.94 issue. When I downgraded Exim version to 4.93 (to avoid the initial problem), i had to downgrade the conf as well, so it would work with Exim 4.93. I made conf version 4.5.23, which is for 4.93 (Exim changed it itself on build, I just customised it in CustomBuild versions, so it wont give me updates for it.) You say i should try using conf that is meant for 4.94 anyway, even if Exim says it will not work?

No according that solution, first downgrade to 4.93.04 that automatically downgrade your exim_conf as well
later go to the file exim.dkim.conf (in /etc map) make this change

Code:
find:
dkim_domain = ${if eq{${lc:${domain:$h_from:}}}{}{$primary_hostname}{${lookup{${lc:${domain:$h_from:}}}lsearch,ret=key{/etc/virtual/domainowners}{$value}}}}

replace with:
dkim_domain = $sender_address_domain
Save and restart exim

Oh, I see. You suggesting to ajust the config. Im trying to find a solution here so that both DKIM and EXIM newest version would work. But if there is no other way at this point and no DA admins suggest anything, I might use this siggestion. Thanks

I have adjusted the exim.dkim.conf, and I can confirm that DKIM is functioning correctly now (at least from what I see).
Maybe someone has some suggestions to fix these problems without adjusting configs? Cheers!

Since there is no reply from DA yet and multiple systems have an issue, maybe it's a good idea somebody sends in a ticket and points to this thread?

Back