Adding OpenSSL and OpenSSH

Duboux

Verified User
Hi,

Could you please, please, please add the options to add OpenSSL and OpenSSH in the upgrade list ?

I know there's this update script from wheal, but I've experienced so many bugs and alternate locations of installed software, plus hardly any response to help, that I'm terrified to use that again.. :(

You should keep those upgraded with your system updater such as yum or aptitude. These are not things installed via custombuild. You should of known this before owning or running a server.

You should of known this before owning or running a server.
Isn't that a bit severe? Most of don't know anything before we get our first server. I agree that it's important to learn quickly, and certainly to read and use for reference a good systems administration book (or other resource) specific to your distribution, but not that you should know everything before getting your own server.

Jeff

Well, I know that those are to be installed before DA get's on.
But does that mean we're tied to the rule that DA/Custombuild will do nothing about it, just because of that ?

Read the main custombuild thread on these forums; you'll see exactly what custombuild installs, maintains and updates. Anything else needs to be done by you. One great reason for using CentOS is that you can update the server stuff completely automatically without human intervention, using yum. However, yes, you need to be the administrator. Or hire one.

Jeff

lol, okay, this thread obviously made me look like soom n00b.

Back