Allow hot linking images only if they link back

IT_Architect

Verified User
I need to allow hot linking images only if they link back. Any ideas of how I can accomplish this? :D

No.

Unless you write some fancy Apache module. Else you'd have to check it manually and allow the URL to hotlink in .htaccess.

Unless you write some fancy Apache module. Else you'd have to check it manually and allow the URL to hotlink in .htaccess.
Perhaps there is a way I could write a script to read the Apache logs... see if they are linking back... auto-add to .htaccess... use mod-rewrite to send them a modified image... anything to automate this would be nice. I would think someone has done this before. Maybe not.

Thanks!

Something of that kind might be done with nginx, I saw an example of using a third-party module for nginx for the purposes.

Another way to go is to display images with a PHP/PERL script, which would check backlinks (of course you might need to do some caching in order to prevent overloading).

Another way to go is to display images with a PHP/PERL script, which would check backlinks (of course you might need to do some caching in order to prevent overloading).
nginx isn't viable in this case, but perhaps something like this during off-hours. I was hoping someone would come back with, "That's easy. XYZ has a script just for that."

Thanks

Last edited:
Back