AlmaLinux 8.5 has been released

Adding powertools... maybe to be able to install the ifconfig or something else, I added them too.
Seems you're fine. I don't know when exactly it will go to Centos-stream or if that will happen automatically. But if you want to migrate to Alma, I would do it as soon as possible, just to be sure. ;)

# cat /etc/redhat-release - CentOS Linux release 8.5.2111 - No Stream in release name, so I figure I'm good to go.
I don't know what you are trying to say. It is Goodbye CentOS Linux, hello CentOS Stream after 2021. Your release name is never going to change. It is simply End of Life after 2021 and there will be no more updates. CentOS 8 Stream is as different to the CentOS you know as Fedora is. They term CentOS Stream a development branch for Red Hat. Alma Linux IS the continuation of CentOS 8.x and it is based on Red Hat, just as all of the previous CentOS versions were. CentOS 8 Stream is not. Red Hat is instead based on it.
It's the other way around. Debian was there long before Ubuntu and Debian is also widely used by hosters. Since Ubuntu got popular on desktops, it's more popular amongst hosters too (more the younger hosters I believe).
You are actually agreeing with me. When I say fueled by, it meant Ubuntu popularized Debian.

Last edited:
A plus for Alma could be the cloudlinux connection , where they do anyway some work for the cloudlinux it is ofcourse more easy to have that dev work the same time for more more or less same kind of ...?

I don't think so. I can misunderstand because I'm not native English, but I think popularized means "made more popular" correct? Ubuntu did not make Debian more popular imho.
You are correct. We don't agree. I'm saying Ubuntu made Debian much more popular.

Indeed then we don't agree. I think Ubuntu made Ubuntu popular. Imho it's not that more people were going to use Debian because Ubuntu came. Seems to me rather Debian users started to use Ubuntu due to the faster updates.
Just like some liked Fedora more than Centos for the same reason I guess.

Back