Alternatives for Legacy DA License Holders

ptloma

I have read all of the posts in the "What is the future for Legacy DirectAdmin License holders?" thread that is now closed. I am currently using a legacy lifetime license and several low cost Personal licenses to provide WordPress sites at no cost to nonprofits. I use WordPress plugins to route all mail through AES, Google or Office 365 hosted mail to avoid some of the mail delivery issues normally associated with WordPress.

Since I do not want to substantially increase my costs to maintain these sites on current (non EOL) secure software versions, I am exploring alternate solutions, including consolidating multiple VPS onto a single larger system licensed through DA and using open source control panels that will continue to support current secure software versions. Since the timeline on legacy/Personal DA licenses appears to be determined by MariaDB 10.6 EOL, I would like to make some decisions and implement any required changes by the end of 2025. I would be interested in hearing from others providing limited low cost services on what other solution platforms they are considering.

I have set up working test sites with the following software packages and would like to hear from others doing the same:
Ubuntu 22.04.5 LTS / ISPConfig 3.2.12 / Apache 2.4.52 / MariaDB 10.6.18 / PHP 8.1.30 / WordPress 6.6.2
AlmaLinux 9.4 / CyberPanel / OpenLiteSpeed/ MariaDB 10.11.9 / PHP 8.3.10 / WordPress 6.6.2
Debian 12 / Virtualmin-Webmin / Apache 2.4.62 / MariaDB 10.11.6 / PHP 8.3.12 / WordPress 6.6.2

The ISPConfig installation is somewhat dated and I may not pursue it since there is no clear documentation on upgrading MariaDB for an existing ISPConfig installation and I am not sure if I have enough time to go through the testing. CyberPanel and Virtualmin-Webmin both appear to support MariaDB upgrades for existing installations. I do want to look at an option using nginx however.

Has anyone else done any testing using open source software and is there any information you would be willing to share?

Back