any reason not to use the recommended simple partition structure on a new server?

questions

Verified User
Any reason not to use this partition "scheme?"

Partition scheme​

We suggest a simple partition structure of:

PartitionSize
/boot500 MB
swapFor < 2GB of RAM: 2 x RAM, for 2GB - 8GB of RAM: equal to the amount of RAM, for > 8GB of RAM: at least 4GB
/Rest of drive

Any reason not to use this partition "scheme?"
No.
I always use it like that, lot easier, just 3 partitions, boot, swap and / and that's it.

However nowadays 500 MB for boot can get a bit small because it seems kernels have been bigger. So now I instructed yum to only save 3 kernels instead of the default of 5.
So next time we will use a /boot partition of 1 GB and then that issue is gone too.

Of course, there are always reasons...
It depends on what you need or aim for.

For example a /boot
I personally rarely have a separate boot partition these days as it has bitten me when upgrading to a new kernel and running out of partition disk space because I forgot to clean up old kernels... If your OS can limit the number of kernels to keep then you can work around that potential issue.
So an easier setup is just having a root and swap partition ...

However ....

Did you configure quota's ?
If not then your home folder might grow beyond control and block things like being able to automatically install security updates.
So this is one reason why sometimes people create a separate /home partition.
Note that a separate home partition also makes it easier to switch Linux distribution. Suggestion is to keep this as last partition in the list so that you can easily grow it (assuming you're on a VM with easy ways to extend the disk)

Or how about logging?
What happens if you're under attack? Can your logs outgrow the space assigned to them?

There are plenty of reasons for having a more complicated partition scheme.
But doing so depends on what you need and design against.

If you don't know ... then a simple simple partition scheme is a good start.

Did you configure quota's ?
If not then your home folder might grow beyond control and block things like being able to automatically install security updates.
I presume one is so smart, to get notified by the system way before the disk is running full (like for example at 80% and 90% full).
But indeed, that is a valid reason to use a /home partition, however, you do have to know how big your system partition has to be or will grow, otherwise you will be running into the same issue, like I did with the /boot partition when kernels started growing.
Which is why I advised to make a bigger /boot partition.

Using more partitions is indeed depending on what you want or need yourself, we stopped using them since we always had loads of memory and big disks. We never ran into issues were partitions were getting full, not even logs.
But this is something to think about with less disk space and on a VPS or VM.

Note that a separate home partition also makes it easier to switch Linux distribution.
I'm curious about this. What's the difference in moving a /home partition to another distro or moving a /home directory to another distro?
Why would it be easier if it's a partition?

There's no moving... you just re-install on / (and /boot) and keep the existing /home partition intact.
To be frank, that's more a desktop thing then a server one.
Used it many times -for Linux desktops- in the past (nowadays I tend to install fresh more often than not)
When you use DirectAdmin you should probably use the Backup Transfer method instead.

To be frank, that's more a desktop thing then a server one.
Ah oke I was wondering already because normally a disks gets formatted on new distro install, at least in our case anyway, we use software raid.
I didn't know this was possible with Linux desktops though, so still interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Just getting back to this... yes I will use quotas, don't log files auto rotate themselves or is that something I configured custom on my server?

what about the /tmp should that be it's own partition with noexec so that malicious files don't run out of it? is that still a concern?

Hi,
don't log files auto rotate themselves or is that something I configured custom on my server?
Yes, that is a default.

However the files are by default rotated on a specific time and not after they grow to a specific size.
On debian 11 for example, the default is to rotate on a weekly bases.
what about the /tmp should that be it's own partition with noexec so that malicious files don't run out of it? is that still a concern?
Yes, that hasn't changed.

Thanks I appreciate the help.

I haven't installed DA in a while. I did it frequently for a while back in the early 2000's... so I'm very rusty and want to get a refresher. Is there an itemized list of the installation process on one page? The DA documentation is suffering from TMI (too much information.)

I'm to the point where I can login via admin. I read something about the "pro" option using nginx... that sounds nice and might do that... DA looks totally different than the version that I had running... I tend to prefer simple rather than fancy and bloated and complex. I just want to host basic Wordpress websites... at one time I had ruby on rails and postgre offered thinking it would be cool to offer more features, but I don't think a single customer wanted that and I had about 300 customers at one point when I was ranking #1 for a good hosting related keyword before Godaddy and others discovered that keyword, and I never used it in about a 20 year period.

I don't have my name servers setup and I don't remember the concept about creating name servers on the registrar... as I remember I have to login to the registrar and set the domain as a name server, is that correct? Is there a term for setting up a name server (not configuring name servers) on the registrar? It's been about 20 years since I've done it. My server might have had a record for uptime at one point. That's why I love FreeBSD so much.

Should I be doing Bubblewrap jails if I don't give customers access to ssh, ever?

I tend to prefer simple rather than fancy and bloated and complex.
In that case, go to (or search for) themes and change Evolution to Enhanced theme, which looks like in the old days around 2008. I'm still using it too for myself.
That will look a lot more familiar to you and then you can get used to the Evo skin on a user account for yourself or something like that.

As for creating nameservers, you do have to set them up at the server first, so NS and A records for the nameservers.
Then at the registrar, point the ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com to the ip's which you setup for the nameservers on your server.

I don't use nGinx, can't help you with that, but there is a lot of info in the docs indeed.
There is no itemized list for the installation as far as I know, however I still use this one with the pre-install commands:

Installation is gone a bit different nowadays, if you choose auto, all will be installed for you, newest exim and mariadb and stuff and also CSF. You can get it so you can choose things, but then you have to use command line options. There is a thread somewhere about that.
However, now DA installs directly and all the rest in the background, so you can enter the DA GUI and configure some things while the installation of all the rest is running in the background.

Bubblewrap? I wouldn't know the benefit of that when you don't give users any SSH access.

Are cron jobs taken advantage of (hacked, malicious scripts executed) often without Bubblewrap?

In that case, go to (or search for) themes and change Evolution to Enhanced theme, which looks like in the old days around 2008. I'm still using it too for myself.
That will look a lot more familiar to you and then you can get used to the Evo skin on a user account for yourself or something like that.

As for creating nameservers, you do have to set them up at the server first, so NS and A records for the nameservers.
Then at the registrar, point the ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com to the ip's which you setup for the nameservers on your server.

I don't use nGinx, can't help you with that, but there is a lot of info in the docs indeed.
There is no itemized list for the installation as far as I know, however I still use this one with the pre-install commands:

Installation is gone a bit different nowadays, if you choose auto, all will be installed for you, newest exim and mariadb and stuff and also CSF. You can get it so you can choose things, but then you have to use command line options. There is a thread somewhere about that.
However, now DA installs directly and all the rest in the background, so you can enter the DA GUI and configure some things while the installation of all the rest is running in the background.

Bubblewrap? I wouldn't know the benefit of that when you don't give users any SSH access.

I don't want all kinds of bloat... do many mainstream hosts provide mariadb?

I don't see anything new with HostGator or any of the mainstream web hosting companies, like MariaDB... It's still just php/mysql for Wordpress...

That's all I want is the basics to run Wordpress with Installatron... I supposed if I don't install all the extra bloat like maria nginx and apache, it will be faster, right? I'm not trying to launch the space shuttle just provide simple shared hosting... and I don't want to get a PhD in computer science to do it...

Please don't quote full posts, I know what I wrote, lets keep it clean, don't use the reply button because that does not reply but quotes full posts. :)

I don't want all kinds of bloat... do many mainstream hosts provide mariadb?
Bloat? I never talk about bloatware. Probably most mainstream hosts provide MariaDB nowadays. That is a MySQL fork. I also was very suspicious in the beginning. But after Mysql 5.7 became almost EOL we switched over to MariaDB 10.2, now running 10.4 and never had issues with it neither were ever sorry that we changed.

But most company's still say "mysql" in their advertising (while running MariaDB) because that's most known by customers.
Mariadb works perfectly with PHP and Wordpress.

Hostgator is really not a good example. They don't update their website. It's stating they still use Mysql 5.6 which is EOL since february this year, I wonder that they not even have 5.7 stated on that page. Since 5.7 is out a long time it's odd they still state 5.6.

Anyway, mysql 5.7 is EOL next year. You could also use Mysql 8.0 which also has various changes. But many business changed to MariaDB since Oracle took over. But ofcourse it's your free choice.

if I don't install all the extra bloat like maria nginx and apache
Really? How do you want to run a wordpress site without apache??? You need a webserver for that. So you can't exclude "bloat" like Apache.
Not really professional though to use "bloat" for these things.

You want very basics? Well... MariaDB is installed by default now on DA, so installing Mysql would take extra work.
Simple and fast, use MariaDB, Apache and PHP and you're done. You don't need nGinx.

Last edited:
Probably most mainstream hosts provide MariaDB nowadays.
Agree with this. Not sure if they flipped on this position too, but at one time CPanel was even recommending Mariadb over MySQL due to the uncertainty after Oracle took over. I wound up switching to Mariadb and never looked back.

No they don't.

Name.com
Namecheap.com
They us MariaDB.

Godaddy uses MySQL (at least on my account.)

BlueHost, HostGator use Perconia Server... because they are basically the same company owned by some horrible communist (globalist) conglomerate with the same exact horrible tech support.

Godaddy hosts 21% of all websites in the USA and more than 15% of all websites in the world.

I have nothing against MariaDB, and I prefer Namecheap out of all of those companies.

https://create.com which is Brent Oxley's new hosting company uses MariaDB and I like their USA based tech support and they are offering 1 year free currently.

I have accounts at all the above companies... I go between namecheap.com and create.com as my favorite current web hosts... I liked name.com but seems they were just sold to some horrible communist globalist company and dropped their phone support and their support is now horrible. Create.com and namecheap.com have great support, but create.com is probably the best support.... since it's in the USA and I've gotten the best personal support and they fixed a big problem for me, that HostGator was running me in circles about because HostGator didn't have the know-how (since the people who founded HostGator now work at create.com.)

Winner create.com and they use MariaDB... so I guess I'll use it too.

Back