any reason not to use the recommended simple partition structure on a new server?

I know for a fact that after Oracle acquired MySQL CPanel started advising users to switch to Mariadb. This was a sore point with me because after running Mariadb for a couple of years, CPanel all of a sudden started pushing forward with new versions of MySQL and was leaving Mariadb behind, which was annoying because they had no path back to MySQL.

Anyone that thinks CPanel is without its problems, take a look at this feature request back and forth:

And someone also pointing out Mariadb is the default..

"MariaDB is the default db choice for WHM and has been for a while now if I'm not mistaken - it only makes sense to try and stay current with their stable releases."

And yeah, no one said they all did

Nobody said they all did.

they said most mainstream hosts use mariadb but they don't... godaddy uses mysql on my account and that's the biggest hosting company... in my little sample, only 2 out of 5 of the biggest hosting companies in the world use mariadb... that's not most... that's a couple... the minority. 50% if you count create.com which is my fav hosting company but not one of the biggest yet.

I know for a fact that after Oracle acquired MySQL CPanel started advising users to switch to Mariadb. This was a sore point with me because after running Mariadb for a couple of years, CPanel all of a sudden started pushing forward with new versions of MySQL and was leaving Mariadb behind, which was annoying because they had no path back to MySQL.

Anyone that thinks CPanel is without its problems, take a look at this feature request back and forth:

And someone also pointing out Mariadb is the default..

"MariaDB is the default db choice for WHM and has been for a while now if I'm not mistaken - it only makes sense to try and stay current with their stable releases."

And yeah, no one said they all did

mariadb installation seems buggy from my small amount of research and problematic, but I think that wordpress sites can migrate from mysql to mariadb and back and forth... more than that and I don't really care... I'm not running the New York Stock Exchange, just hosting small Wordpress websites for realtors and lawyers and myself...

i want the default basic directadmin installation... why isn't there a complete guide for this, or better just a script to run for the basic default install?

i'm not trying to do what cpanel or whm does... I've never used either of those panels for my own servers... I'm trying to do the default basic install for right now, today, April 19, 2022...

they said most mainstream hosts use mariadb but they don't...
Yes I said that and it's true. There are a few big ones which don't yet. But maybe you have another interpretation of mainstream than I do.
Mainstream is not the same as the biggest imho. And 2 out of 5 from the biggest is almost half. Take into mind that the biggest don't change that quickly and really look mainstream. I'm not native English but as far as I know that means kind of average. Not the biggest and not the smallest.
Also one of the biggest was still running MySql 5.6 instead of already 5.7 or 8. So that prooves they don't change things that quick, at least some.

Anyway, doesn't matter much anyway. If you want to use mysql then use mysql. Just takes a bit more work when installing DA.
mariadb installation seems buggy from my small amount of research and problematic
Well I don't know where you investigated, but that is not the case as far as I know. Working with it for around 3 years now and not encountering issues about that here on the forums.

I'm trying to do the default basic install for right now, today, April 19, 2022...
and
i want the default basic directadmin installation... why isn't there a complete guide for this, or better just a script to run for the basic default install?
So why the discussion? I already told you the basic install does MariaDB and Apache. Next to that Exim and Dovecot and CSF and that's all you need for simple default basic install right now today.

The installation guide is in the docs. And if you had a look at that, you would have seen that there is just a script for the basic default install.

So next time we will use a /boot partition of 1 GB and then that issue is gone too.
For cPanel /boot 1GB is fine. For DirectAdmin, 500MB /boot is correct.

On my servers I do exactly the same.

/boot --> 500MB. (For DirectAdmin, for cPanel & WHM 1GB)
/ --> Rest of drive.
swap --> same as RAM or 1.5 times the RAM.

/etc/fstab/

/dev/sda1 /boot ext4 defaults,ro,noatime,nosuid,noexec,nodev 1 2
/dev/mapper/VG_OS/lv_root / ext4 defaults,noatime,usrquota,grpquota,errors=remount-ro 1 1
/dev/mapper/_VG_OS/lv_swap swap swap sw 0 0

Grettings.

For cPanel /boot 1GB is fine. For DirectAdmin, 500MB /boot is correct.
You forgot to quote the most important part.
However nowadays 500 MB for boot can get a bit small because it seems kernels have been bigger. So now I instructed yum to only save 3 kernels instead of the default of 5.
So yes at this moment 500 MB is still just enough, if you want to run onto edges, you can use 500 MB and get root mail that your partition is almost full.
Or use 500 MB and set the kernel limit back to 3. Until kernels grow bigger again.

I didn't say 1 GB was required, only that I used it this way, to get rid of the root mail and the need to limit amount of kernels to keep.
It's a choice.

Back