Aol users unable to login to DirectAdmin

thuskey

Verified User
Aol dialup users use a method known as transparent proxying to access information outside the AOL network. Basically there is a cluster of proxy machines that are load balanced to allow 38+ million users to connect to the internet, even though AOL only owns a very few small class B subnets.

If an aol customer is a broadband customer, they can always open an internet explorer window and bypass the proxy, allowing them to login to the directadmin panel. Aol dialup users on the other hand have no ability to bypass the proxy servers (due to lack of available ip addresses) and are forced to randomly grab an internet facing ip address when they try to connect. Because directadmin compares the known ip address used when logging in the control panel to each subsequential request, the aol dialup user often fails to obtain the data they are requesting and instead get the login screen again (because they did not log in with their current IP address).

So, my question is, will you consider modifying your authentication mechanism to eliminate the comparision of ip addresses. Or, is there a setting already in the system that will allow me to disable it on demand?

I don't think the IP addresses are the issue, I think it's the port they're riding in on...

See this thread which explains that port 2222 isn't accessible to AOL clients using the AOhell default browser.

hostpc.com said:
I don't think the IP addresses are the issue, I think it's the port they're riding in on...

See this thread which explains that port 2222 isn't accessible to AOL clients using the AOhell default browser.

Well just to satisfy my interest, can we get 2 or 3 aol users to volunteer to dialup ( no broadband users please) into aol, and try to connect to the admin demo using any other browser other than the aol browser. Netscape, Internet Explorer, Mozilla or any other browser you might have will be fine. Please post your results back here.

Back