hello,

i want to update my server with apt-get :

apt-get -u upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
proftpd
The following packages will be upgraded:
flex gnupg gzip libgnutls11 libssl0.9.6 libtasn1-2 perl perl-base perl-modules systemimager-client systemimager-common tar
unzip vim vim-common

15 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 15.3MB of archives.
After unpacking 16.4kB disk space will be freed.

Is it ok or not ?

You don't tell us what OS Distribution you're using.

You don't tell us what programs you're excluding in your configuration file.

So there's no way we can tell you whether it's safe or not.

Jeff

Don't know if this is something for this subject but does anyone have an ignore list for Debian already, I know what packages to exclude but how should this be done in Debian? With a modified apt.conf ignoring all the DA packages or maybe with an apt/preferences file with priorities for all the packages set really low or negative? Any experience?

You should probably ignore updates of the same programs I avoid updating with yum; the list is on these forums.

The apt-get ignore is similar to the yum ignore.

Jeff

jlasman said:
You should probably ignore updates of the same programs I avoid updating with yum; the list is on these forums.

Yeah I know what packages to ignore that's not the problem.

The apt-get ignore is similar to the yum ignore.

No it isn't, not syntax wise anyway, that's why I asked for the correct way to do this, does anyone have actual experience with this?

Thanks in advance,

Tristan

I only run the rpm version of apt-get.

I have these excludes in a non-DA server, at the bottom of the /etc/apt/apt.conf file:
RPM
{
// Leave list empty to disable
AllowedDupPkgs {"^kernel$"; "kernel-smp"; "kernel-enterprise"; };
HoldPkgs {"kernel-source"; "kernel-headers"; };
}
The excludes are in the section HoldPkgs.

You probably won't have an RPM section but you may have another section with a HoldPkgs section.

If you do, and it looks like mine, then you can add everything in HoldPkgs, all names in double-quotes, separated by a semicolon followed by a space, inside the curly-brackets, and the whole line followed by a semicolon.

NOTE that I take no responsibility for this as I don't know if your Debian system uses the same format or not.

Jeff

jlasman said:
The excludes are in the section HoldPkgs.

You probably won't have an RPM section but you may have another section with a HoldPkgs section.

Thanks for this Jeff, but unfortunately the HoldPkgs is something that's build into the rpm version of apt-get the original doesn't have this also see:

http://tettnang.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=19

Does anyone here run Debian with a modified apt.conf or preferences file?

Regards,

Tristan

Sorry, not tested.

Its possible to mark packages for ignore in aptitude command ?

Back