best os for DA

If you're brand new with linux, go with CentOS 5, especially for your DirectAdmin box. Reason being is that most servers will be running CentOS, so there's more people using CentOS, more Q&A regarding CentOS and also many more howto tutorials to help you get started.

Two questions as a newbie, please comment on both:
1.) I have no kwonledge on linux yet (Managing windows servers and linux based hardware-firewall), and I was going to choose centos, but my ISP recommended me Debian, so we installed debian. Do I have any incompatiblity, securtiy or stability issues with anything when using it with DA for a hosting company? Is it good choose to start from scrath or do I still consider choosing Centos? I googled around and everybody says something different. But generally speaking Debian seems to be a better choise from the results that I read. Because this is my first linux server, my other servers also will be linux so first choise is important to me.

2.) Centos life is till 2012 but what will happen then to all those users especially web host companies? Will they have to switch to an other OS that has a longer life?

Thanks for the comments.

You 'll not have any incompatiblity, securtiy or stability issues as DA is tested in both. I believe that Jeff mentioned in a post that DA was first build in CentOS but at this time both are a very good choice (I'd recommend centos too for the reason suhailc said). As far as you install updates (DA's and system's), new kernels (at a time where you 're familiar with linux) and some 3rd party software all discussed in these forums you 'll be secured enough.

Don't worry about the end of life of a dist. At that point you will be experienced enough to update to the new version of your os without re-setup your server.
What ever you choose both have a great system that helps a user do his first steps in linux.

The server load as you can see reached 120. I did login and i fix it remotely. None of the services was dead and exim was keeping on to deliver emails. I 've seen linux with a load of 40-60 that needed single user mode to correct the problem (couldnt login via ssh).
That day i've stopped to use linux :)

As I can see in attachment, there are some kernel warnings:
"collecting pv entries"

Afaik it freebsd specific. Are you sure that server was under linux ?
Generally "collecting pv entries" is problem related to shared mem, often happened on heavy loaded boxes with apache.

Look likes you server going to swapping and all services are died from this.

As for question about best OS.
I think that right way is to use OS, that you better know and prefer.
As for me, I prefer FreeBSD :) I really love it. But I also using linux in production.
As for linux distros: Debian and Centos are my favorites (for production).

Afaik it freebsd specific. Are you sure that server was under linux ?
Generally "collecting pv entries" is problem related to shared mem, often happened on heavy loaded boxes with apache.

no, it's a freebsd box... I didn't explain it well (my english isn't so good).. :)

Apparently it's not good on Windows :D

I did'nt realise it is specifically designed for CentOs.

It's fine on Debian 4.0 although you have to watch what you install via apt-get because you can break DA if you install something that conflicts with it.

Not had that problem yet thankfully and hope I never will.

David

It's probably more appropriate to say that DirectAdmin is specifically developed ON CentOS rather than for CentOS.

Jeff

Please explain what you believe the advantages would be of running DirectAdmin on Gentoo, since the entire hosting stack is built from source on all DirectAdmin installations anyway.

Jeff

Re

Originally DirectAdmin was written for RedHat everything else is a port to the various OS's. (this info can be found on DA's forum) There are a number of users that run FreeBSD. We ourselves use CentOS 4.x with no problems.

According to you ;).

We've started moving to CentOS 5. Is there a reason why you haven't?

Jeff

Back