[bug] New Installation halt for the second time regarding to exim version that is not compatible

MaXi32

Verified User
So, this is the 2nd bug report for the new installer for the stable channel after this: https://forum.directadmin.com/threa...ble-channel-related-to-lua.67951/#post-358727

In this issue, while attempting to install DA on a new fresh server, I encountered the following error, which I think can be resolved by rebuilding Exim manually. My question is why do I need to rebuild exim during a new installation?

Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/clamav-freshclam.service -> /lib/systemd/system/clamav-freshclam.service.
Setting up clamdscan (0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1) ...
Setting up clamav-daemon (0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/clamav-daemon.service -> /lib/systemd/system/clamav-daemon.service.
Setting up clamav (0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-13+deb11u5) ...
Enabling clamd in systemd...
Synchronizing state of clamav-daemon.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable clamav-daemon
Synchronizing state of clamav-freshclam.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable clamav-freshclam
Restarting freshclam.
Restarting clamd.
##O#-#
Enabling BlockCracking...
##O#-#
BlockCracking is now enabled.
Your version of Exim does not support SPF, which is needed for Easy Spam Fighter. Please update exim using the CustomBuild script: ./build exim.
2023/02/20 22:21:16 info executing task task=action=notify&message=CustomBuild+installation+has+failed%2C+please+check+the+following+file+for+more+information%3A%0A%2Fvar%2Flog%2Fdirectadmin%2Fcustombuild.1676901760.72295.log&subject=CustomBuild+installation+has+failed&value=admin

I don't really understand why it has to be in the Stable release which I was praying that you shouldn't disturb this channel. My automation script stop working due to this.

@DirectAdmin Support @fln

Your version of Exim does not support SPF, which is needed for Easy Spam Fighter. Please update exim using the CustomBuild script: ./build exim.
I had this before too when I enabled ESF and blockcracking together in the "old" custombuild situation. Then they got compiled but for some reason either Exim or exim.conf didn't so the SPF notice appeared.

Seems that is the issue, rebuild either exim or exim.conf or (maybe better) both and it should be fixed.

I had this before too when I enabled ESF

Are you referring to SPF? How can I determine whether I have it enabled or not? Are they just DNS entries? Additionally, while rebuilding Exim seems to resolve the issue, I'm expecting that this should be done automatically by the installer. So, I have to run the new installer and experience this bug first before I can rebuild exim manually and finally re-run the new installer. Isn't that pain?

EDIT

Sorry, it took me a moment to realize that ESF refers to Easy Spam Fighter. That means I shouldn't include both of those options in the options.conf file before running the new installation, right? Will try and see if it still breaks the installer. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
That means I shouldn't include both of those options in the options.conf file before running the new installation, right?
Correct. I presume it won't break the installer then, however you might need to rebuild exim and exim.conf after enabling ESF and blockcracking again if the SPF notice appears after building it.

So I'm curious too for your experience if this method indeed does not break the installer.
You're welcome.

@MaXi32, @zEitEr could you give us more details about the installation environment that lead to failed installation. Are you using specific configuration?

@MaXi32, @zEitEr could you give us more details about the installation environment that lead to failed installation. Are you using specific configuration?

Yes, before the DA installation, I provided these options.conf (that did not work):

(changed my domain and email)

# PHP Settings
php1_release=8.0
php1_mode=php-fpm
php2_release=7.4
php2_mode=php-fpm
php3_release=7.3
php3_mode=php-fpm
php4_release=no
php4_mode=php-fpm
secure_php=yes
php_ini=yes
php_timezone=Asia/Kuala_Lumpur
php_ini_type=production
x_mail_header=yes

# MySQL Settings
mysql=5.7
mariadb=10.6
mysql_inst=mariadb
mysql_backup=yes
mysql_backup_gzip=yes
mysql_backup_dir=/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql_backups
mysql_force_compile=no

# WEB Server Settings
unit=no
webserver=nginx_apache
http_methods=ALL
litespeed_serialno=trial
modsecurity=yes
modsecurity_ruleset=comodo
apache_ver=2.4
apache_mpm=auto
mod_ruid2=no
userdir_access=no
harden_symlinks_patch=yes
use_hostname_for_alias=yes
redirect_host=example.domain.com
redirect_host_https=yes

# WEB Applications Settings
phpmyadmin=yes
phpmyadmin_public=yes
squirrelmail=no
roundcube=yes
webapps_inbox_prefix=no

# ClamAV-related Settings
clamav=yes
clamav_exim=yes
modsecurity_uploadscan=no
proftpd_uploadscan=no
pureftpd_uploadscan=no
suhosin_php_uploadscan=no

# Mail Settings
exim=yes
eximconf=yes
blockcracking=yes
easy_spam_fighter=yes
spamd=rspamd
sa_update=daily
dovecot=yes
dovecot_conf=yes
mail_compress=yes
pigeonhole=yes

# FTP Settings
ftpd=pureftpd

# Statistics Settings
awstats=no
webalizer=no

# CustomBuild Settings
bold=yes
clean=yes
clean_old_tarballs=yes
clean_old_webapps=yes

# Cronjob Settings
cron=no
cron_frequency=daily
email=[email protected]
notifications=yes
updates=no
webapps_updates=yes

# CloudLinux Settings
cloudlinux=no
cloudlinux_beta=no
cagefs=no

# Advanced Settings
csf=yes
ssl_configuration=intermediate
redis=yes

I did not know it was related to this config until @Richard G told me.

Last edited:

I used an options.conf from another server with:

Code:
exim=yes
eximconf=yes
blockcracking=yes
easy_spam_fighter=yes

Thanks. The root cause was a circular dependency starting from ClamAV, because clamav_exim=yes it tries to reconfigure exim before it is being built. Exim version check fails and produces misleading message about SPF. Thanks for bringing this to our attention we will release a fix soon.

Thanks. The root cause was a circular dependency starting from ClamAV, because clamav_exim=yes it tries to reconfigure exim before it is being built. Exim version check fails and produces misleading message about SPF. Thanks for bringing this to our attention we will release a fix soon.

Thanks @fln good to know the cause of the issue

This issue is resolved in the current release channel.
Hi, just tried it with the current release channel, and I stil get the error.

/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/build: line 6282: /usr/sbin/exim: No such file or directory
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/build: line 6283: /usr/sbin/exim: No such file or directory
2023/03/10 21:15:42 info executing task task=action=notify&message=CustomBuild+installation+has+failed%2C+please+check+the+following+file+for+more+information%3A%0A%2Fvar%2Flog%2Fdirectadmin%2Fcustombuild.1678479256.54596.log&subject=CustomBuild+installation+has+failed&value=admin

EDIT

Unfortunately I did not get any response, so I had to find a workaround. I changed the options.conf file to:

clamav=no

and once everything was installed, I executed this:

cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set clamav yes
./build set clamav_exim yes
./build clamav
./build exim
./build exim_conf

Now I was able to finish the installation of my new server.

Last edited:
Back