Cannot log in

pixelhed

Verified User
Hi

So yesterday i could not log into my DA system. I noticed that there was a new log in system. After a bit of complaining with my host, they suggested a browser upgrade.

I was using IE6, and upgraded to IE6 SP1. Lo and behold i could log in again. JOY!

Unfortunately then i (stupidly) downloaded the new hotfixes for the browser, and wouldn't you know it. Now i cannot log in again -perfect!

My question: how can i get my login screen working again? I thought i would remove the hot fixes in control panel/add remove. However the numbers in the IE about panel do not tie up with any in the add/remove screen.

IE6 : 6.0.2800.1106; Q818529; Q330994

HELP !!:confused:

are you riuuning the *very* latest version of IE (has not got a clue what the latest version is apart from 6 :p )

I think so, i mean i updated the version of IE6 yesterday, and installed everything from IE6 SP1, to all the suggestions for my system after installing IE6 SP1.

The only thing that i have left in windows update to install is windows 2000 SP4.

What if i have got the latest browser, is that good or bad?

nope it's not a beta.

I still am unable to log into the DA control panel for my reseller account.

I have 2 test accounts on this server setup (resold) i can log into the .co.uk but not the .com . The server that the reseller account lives on is also a .com and i cannot log into that. Probably totally unrelated nonsense but an interesting observation nonetheless.

It would be great to be able to log into my reseller account. But there is no joy atm.

Not really sure how talking about this on the forum can solve the problem as someone either from the hosting company (PWS) or DA should have a look at what is going on.

Anyway hopefully we can find a solution before madness settles in....

Try another machine to be sure it is a problem with your computer. If it works on another machine and still not yours get out a big hammer. "Just for joke"

Good luck -Jason

while getting the hammer out of the box, i thought i would try one last attempt at getting into the system. I tried from another pc and it worked. Strange as this pc had the same browser as the one that didn't work.

So after that i thought that i could at least try to install w2k sp4, as this might make things better, and do you know what, it DID!

Now i can log into DA again with the problem machine.

This is all a bit strange, though, maybe someone can suggest a reason why this being incapable of logging in was occurring??

possible the previous upgrade had problems? IE settings changed, could be lots of things.

Good to hear its working though,
Chris

Strange that it didn't work when the DA update to login was installed.

Then it did when i installed IE6 SP1

Then not again after downloading the fixes to SP1

Then it did again after installing SP4 to w2k!! Weird huh?

Anyway just checked again, and it still works. No more gremlins in my browser then, phew!

(Just as a side note) Sometimes deleting temperary Internet files and cookies will sometimes solve variouse Internet Explorer problems as well. Glad to hear it's working again.

more rouble logging in....

this time, i disabled Zone alarm, and i could log in straight away.

I have the domain that DA is under configured in ZA so that everything is allowed (cookies & whatnot) but when it is running i am unable to log in. Is anyone able to offer some config advice that would allow me to have ZA running, and still access DA?

It would be interesting to find out what is being dissallowed, by the firewall. I cannot seem to see any blocks in the firewall logs.

Any ideas, anyone :confused:

Hello,

As far as DirectAdmin is concerned, it passes one cookie to you, which it expects to get back. It stores that in a file with your login info and your ip. When you make another request with that cookie, your ip must match, then it will use the login info from the file. That's the entire system, there isn't much to it.

The only thing that I could see that might cause trouble is old cookies that are left over from older versions... the first thing I would do is clear out all my old cookies, restart your browser, and try it again.

As for zone-alarm... that is really weird. When you say "cannot login"... do you mean, it doesn't like your user/pass, or you can't connect through port 2222?

John

Hi

What i mean is that when i enter my username and password and click the button i get taken back to the login screen with empty boxes. If i try again the same happens.

It could be that the cookie from the old version is somehow still on the system though. How often are the new releases coming out? Also, i am on a dynamic IP, so it could be different from session to session. Which would mean that my IP would not match that of my cookie. Maybe you can implement a check for this situation.

It is strange though, as now i have ZA turned on and i can log in. So it probably isn't that blocking access.

It sounds like a cookie problem. I would rather not clear all my cookies each time i log want to log into DA, as they are useful for my internet usage. So maybe you can check for old cookies, delete them, check that the ip address is not different, or failing all that at least display a message, and a link to remove the offending cookie. Just a thought :)

Hello,

Once you clear your old cookies, they should be gone for good. No other cookies are added by DirectAdmin. Also, the cookies we add are temporary, so when you close your browser, they're gone. As long as your dynamic IP doesn't change every minute (which it shouldn't), you should be fine. As long as it doesn't change within the time of your current session, the ip shouldn't be an issue.

One other possibility is the use of other programs on your server that don't use port 2222, but do use the "session" cookie for the path root path "/" ... if they are more permanent, they would cause the DirectAdmin cookie to not be set, which would prevent a login. I'll see about changing the cookie from "session" to "da_sesssion" or something less generic, if thats the case.

John

It may be worth changing the cookie name anyway if thats the case, something less obvious that would be very unusual to see in other software would obviously be much safer.

Chris

Pixel, have you tried clearing all current cookies, before opening any other websites directly log into DA and then logout, 1 minute later trying again to see if you can login?

If that works it is more than likely other cookies interfering with DA as John said :)

Chris

Back