Cannot login to DA interface as admin, but can login as other user

moostende

Verified User
As of mid October, suddenly my server stopped serving logins through the login page at https://oostende.nl:2222. I'm sure nothing has changed since I was on holiday at the time the problems started. Everything under the hood seems to work fine, I can stop and restart the DA service, the error log is empty, services are running and I can't find anything unusual in any logfile. Checkin my login.log files, I see this:
# cat /var/log/directadmin/login.log.1
2024:10:18-11:29:27: '84.80.52.128' 1 failed login attempts. Account 'admin'
# cat /var/log/directadmin/login.log.2
2024:10:07-19:30:16: '84.80.52.128' successful login to 'admin'

According to the info at https://docs.directadmin.com/directadmin/general-usage/troubleshooting-da-service.html, I checked the available space on the disk (ok), my IP did not change, I changed the admin password, checked the system clock, I rebooted the server and confirmed the usersdir parameter in the config is set. My server IP is whitelisted.

I can su to the Linux admin user account from an ssh session, and I can login into the DA interface with another user's login, so it has to do with the admin user's credentials within DA itself. Any directions on where to search next?

AD is at the most current version, v1.669. I have the idea that the issue started after its (automated) upgrade. Where can I find the list of blocked users? I found the ones for blocked IPs but that is not the cause. By now I found out to get a passwordless login with the admin account using ssh and directadmin/directadmin create-login-url, which actually enables me to log on, although not through the preferred way.

Last edited:
As of mid October, suddenly my server stopped serving logins through the login page at https://oostende.nl:2222
And you don't see any error on this login page when trying to login?

Other thing to try (since the system skin option will be disabled in the near future), try this.
Edit the /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf file and change system_skin=enhanced to system_skin=evolution and restart DA.
Same problem or are you able to login again then?

I can su to the Linux admin user account from

Do you use password in SSH for changing to admin with su command?

I guess, you need to reset your admin's password in SSH. At least could you try it and see whether or not can you connect as admin to DirectAdmin with a new password.

Do you use password in SSH for changing to admin with su command?

I guess, you need to reset your admin's password in SSH. At least could you try it and see whether or not can you connect as admin to DirectAdmin with a new password.
I logged in a another user, su-ed to admin and passwd-ed from there. That didn't help. Then I logged in as admin using the one-time password and changed the password to something else, and later back to the original one. None of these helped.

And you don't see any error on this login page when trying to login?

Other thing to try (since the system skin option will be disabled in the near future), try this.
Edit the /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf file and change system_skin=enhanced to system_skin=evolution and restart DA.
Same problem or are you able to login again then?
Nothing happens except that the screen comes back. No intermediate messages. I even recorded the screen session to see if some message popped up for a very short while, but nothing but a screen reload.
Also tried to change the skin, doesn't work either. Good suggestion, but on the other hand 'deprecated' is something else than 'breaking'. :)

Back