CentOS 5 doesn't update to 5.1

agnivo007

Verified User
Hi all,

I have 2 boxes running CentOS 5 Final x64. However 'yum update' doesn't update to 5.1. I haven't touched the yum configs. Earlier when I had CentOS 4.x , it used to update to next subversion with yum easily.

Please guide me to update to 5.1

Thanks

yum.conf :
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
keepcache=1
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
metadata_expire=1800

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

exclude=apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* da_* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* bind* bind-chroot*

#cat /etc/redhat-release

CentOS release 5 (Final)

What about the files in /etc/yum.repos.d. Those are important too.

Also what do you see when you
Code:
yum update

yum.conf, centos-base etc. repo files are at default state and unmodified.

yum update used to update some packages if new ones were available for 5.0, but didn't update to 5.1 as a whole. Currently, no updates found and still stuck at 5.0

please try rpm -q centos-release to see your centos version :)

and read this message from developers:
----------
we are trying something new to correspond to an upcoming 5.y.z release scheme from upstream.

in the scheme, there will be a 5.1.z and 5.2.z tree ... those trees will be available for an extended period of time (5.1 and 5.2 ... each with different updates).

so ... for that time we will off 3 things ...

a 5 tree (same as now), a 5.1 tree (5.1 for the lifetime of the 5.1 tree) and a 5.2 tree (5.2 for the lifetime of that tree).

Notice is says 5 and not 5.0 or 5.1 or 5.2

That means that if it says 5 ... you are the default tree ... if it says 5.1 you are on the 5.1 ONLY tree ... 5.2 you are on the 5.2 ONLY tree, etc.

the way to tell your exact centos release is to do this command:

rpm -q centos-release
--------------------

Original link:
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2481

# rpm -q centos-release
centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1

# lsb_release -a
LSB Version: :core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-amd64:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
Distributor ID: CentOS
Description: CentOS release 5 (Final)
Release: 5
Codename: Final

So why do you believe that it has not updated to 5.1?

Same for me here, I used both 32 and the 64 bit versions, no matter how I update it is still 5.0 and not 5.1. Something is wrong somewhere.

What does rpm -q centos-release tell you?
My host told me that upgrading to 5.1 isn't necessary if you have yum installed, it'll install 5.1's security updates etc, but it'll still read as centos 5...

5.1 you'd have to reinstall the whole OS and you'll just basically get new features or something..?

In past versions of CentOS, through 4.x, yum update automatically updated between sub-versions. Does it not do that anymore? You may want to ask on a CentOS forum.

Jeff

Back