ClamAV Strange issue

SeLLeRoNe

Super Moderator
Hi,

i did update ClamAV two days ago to 0.98.3 but now CB show that i'm using version 0 and i need to update to 0.98.3

So, just for test i did try to update ClamAV again and this is the error appear:

Code:
ClamAV 0 to 0.98.3 update is available.

Code:
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libssl.so when searching for -lssl
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libcrypto.so when searching for -lcrypto
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libz.so when searching for -lz
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libresolv.so when searching for -lresolv
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpthread.so when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpthread.so when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzopen64@ZLIB_1.2.3.3'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [freshclam] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/clamav-0.98.3/freshclam'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/clamav-0.98.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

*** The make has failed, do you want to try to make again? (y,n):

I'm using CentOS 6.5 64Bit and latest CB.

I did also tried to re-install zlib and libxml2, didnt solve. I had no issue till now on CentOS 6 (i did on CentOS 5), so, i dont know what did happend.

I do have another CentOS 6 box with same configurations and there the problem doesnt appear.

Thanks

Best regards

I had the same : ClamAV 0 to 0.98.3 update is available. (using Centos 6.5 CB2)

I made a update_versions any way and it updates fine
I didn't had the problem as Sellerone but iths strage that its update from version 0 :)

Due to ClamAV bugs and many users having ClamAV in /usr/local, we've decided to change the installation path to /usr/local. All start/stop scripts are taken care of, as well as symlinks from /usr. SeLLeRoNe, what is your libxml2 version? And does it work now on CentOS 5?

No, in CentOS 5 it still doenst work, but at least CB "know" which version im using.

Regarding the two CentOS 6 box:

WORKING:

Installed version of libxml2: 2.9.1
Installed version of ClamAV: 0.98.3

NOT WORKING:

Installed version of libxml2: 2.9.1
ClamAV 0 to 0.98.3 update is available.

Regards

Had the same. I've updated ClamAV yesterday and was successful but running ./build versions gives the notification of newer version although the installation of ClamAV was already updated to 0.98.3.

vancanneyt, you get that notification because like it was said in my previous post, the path has been changed to /usr/local instead of /usr, so it's checking for /usr/local/sbin/clamd, which does not exist on the system, so it just asks you to reinstall it. However, if you don't do that, things would still work, as they're backwards compatible.

SeLLeRoNe, if you are unable to install ClamAV, may you contact me with the details about the problem?

Yes, i cant reinstall, not a big problem cause i know clamav is installed but maybe will be in future release.

I did just wrote to you on skype :)

Regards

vancanneyt, you get that notification because like it was said in my previous post, the path has been changed to /usr/local instead of /usr, so it's checking for /usr/local/sbin/clamd, which does not exist on the system, so it just asks you to reinstall it. However, if you don't do that, things would still work, as they're backwards compatible.

When I recompile ClamAV, will custombuild delete the old installation files on the old paths? If not, what paths can I safely delete after I have recompiled ClamAV wich have the installation in a new path? I don't want to keep the old installation files wich are duplicates ...

When I recompile ClamAV, will custombuild delete the old installation files on the old paths? If not, what paths can I safely delete after I have recompiled ClamAV wich have the installation in a new path? I don't want to keep the old installation files wich are duplicates ...

Binaries would not be duplicates, they are symlinks to real binaries (for example /usr/sbin/clamd -> /usr/local/sbin/clamd). For moved binaries (backups) please check:
Code:
ls /usr/bin | grep [COLOR=#000000]_backup
[/COLOR]ls /usr/sbin | grep _backup

Yes, i cant reinstall, not a big problem cause i know clamav is installed but maybe will be in future release.

I did just wrote to you on skype :)

Regards

The cause of the problem were the following non-default settings:
Code:
new_zlib=yes
new_xml2=yes

The fix was:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set new_zlib no
./build set new_xml2 no
rm -f /usr/local/lib/libz.*
rm -f /usr/local/lib/libxml2.*
ldconfig
./build libxml2
./build clamav

That's it :)

BTW, zlib is not installed by default (CB 2.0) and it's recommended not to install it (zlib=no).

Last edited:
Code:
new_zlib=yes
new_libxml2=yes
[cut]

I have recompiled ClamAV on 3 servers tonight, and I have new_libxml2=yes, and it does not cause any trouble at all. So it is not needed to change new_libxml2=yes, please don't blame libxml2 for problems only caused by zlib. :) I am running CentOS 6.5 64bit.

I have recompiled ClamAV on 3 servers tonight, and I have new_libxml2=yes, and it does not cause any trouble at all. So it is not needed to change new_libxml2=yes, please don't blame libxml2 for problems only caused by zlib. :) I am running CentOS 6.5 64bit.

libxml2 uses libraries of zlib. On SeLLeRoNe's system OS version of zlib was too old to compile the latest libxml2 and the previous post was only for people affected by the problem and not finding a way to solve it. If you have any complaints about the current defaults - please let me know.

Thanks Martynas for your time.

For who is affected on CentOS 5 libxml2 problem on compile and clamav/freshclam restart, this fixed that too.

Best regards

Code:
new_zlib=yes
new_xml2=yes

The fix was:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set new_zlib no
./build set new_xml2 no
rm -f /usr/local/lib/libz.*
rm -f /usr/local/lib/libxml2.*
ldconfig
./build libxml2
./build clamav

That's it :)

BTW, zlib is not installed by default (CB 2.0) and it's recommended not to install it (zlib=no).

Hi,

Tried to do this but now I get:

libtool: link: gcc -g -O2 -pedantic -W -Wformat -Wunused -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wtrigraphs -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wuninitialized -Wparentheses -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Winline -Wredundant-decls -o .libs/xmllint xmllint.o ./.libs/libxml2.so -L/usr/local/lib -ldl -lz /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -lm
./.libs/libxml2.so: undefined reference to `gzopen64'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [xmllint] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/libxml2-2.7.6'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/libxml2-2.7.6'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any suggestion on how to resolve this?

Back