Creating and mounting a new file system

Bournes

Verified User
On my CentOS machine I have to create a new partition/file system, not sure which one I need to be honest I am a little bit confused about it all. If someone could explain it and walk me through it that would be great.

The current size of my Harddisk is 190GB, but I am only using 100GB of that.

When I do df -H I get the following output (these are file systems if my understanding is correct?):

Code:
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1        94G   65G   25G  73% /
tmpfs           938M  1.1M  937M   1% /tmp
tmpfs           1.0G   18M 1007M   2% /var/log/httpd

When I launch parted and use the print command, I see the following output (these are partitions if I understand this correctly?):

Code:
GNU Parted 2.1
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
Model: ATA QEMU HARDDISK (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 193GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      65.5kB  193GB  193GB  primary  ext3         boot

How can I create a new file system to fill up the remaining space in the partition? I would like to mount this file system on a directory "/home/admin/admin_backups/", so that I can store all my backups on this new file system.

Alternatively it would also be a solution to resize the current file system, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using one or the other approach?

Don't experiment and speculate, get someone who knows about this to do it for you. It's easy for someone who knows about this, so it's easy done. If you want to do it yourself and learn, then read up on it, and be sure that you understand, before actually using parted. I know that you seek advice and a howto here, but it can be a heavy lift to advice someone who don't have experience in partitioning, because it takes allot of practical knowhow to do it right, not to speak of the correct partitioning-scheme in your specific case. Just an advice. Save yourself from a lot of trouble and find someone who can help you on location.

As you can see I am in fact looking for advice and not experimenting. Using parted and the print comment doesn't cause any harm at all.

Thanks for your reaction anyway.

No matter how you read it, you should probably get someone to show you how its done, on your machine. You can also try YouTube, there you can find many tutorials. I doubt that someone here will walk you through it. Besides, if you can install and use DirectAdmin, then you probably know something about servers, that is if you run DirectAdmin at all. You can always ask for help, no harm there..... I hope you find a solution.

Last edited:
Back