Custombuild auto update to mysql 5.7.39 killing mysql

netswitch

Verified User
Hello

Today we had all servers in auto update with custombuild failed following a mysql update :

Code:
2022-07-27 03:22:19 localhost: called: cron
2022-07-27 03:44:01 localhost: mysql-5.7.39.tar.gz compiled
2022-07-27 03:45:05 localhost: mysql-5.7.39-linux-x86_64 installed

we tryed to re run it manually but it would not work we had the following errors at the end of the compilation :

Code:
Found created package: mysql-5.7.39-linux-x86_64.tar.gz
Stopping mysqld ...
Service didn't get stopped, sleeping for 20 secs and re-trying ...
Failed to execute operation: File exists
rm: cannot remove 'mysql': Is a directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'mysql/mysql-5.7.39-linux-x86_64': File exists
ls: cannot access /usr/local/mysql/bin: No such file or directory
Ensuring local-infile is disabled for security reasons in MySQL configuration file...
Job for mysqld.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status mysqld.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

And there was the follwoing error on startup :
Code:
Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: No such file or directory

Solution was to change the custombuild option mysql_force_compile to no
Code:
mysql_force_compile = no
Then mysql updated with rpm and no issue.

Don't know the cause of the issue with compilation but figured out I would post so anyone else having the issue would directly update with rpm :)

Did MySQL compile work fine earlier on this system? If MySQL RPMs are used - what was the reason to switch to mysql_force_compile=yes ?

I could not tell for sure but most probably, this particular server is a 3 years old install with default options which seem to have been :
-auto update = yes
-mysql force compile = yes
So I guess there has been an update since the install.

If MySQL RPMs are used - what was the reason to switch to mysql_force_compile=yes ?
We were using the default settings that seem to have been "mysql_force_compile=yes", we switched to RPM's following this issue.
(I have tryed to get it to compile for an hour but then gave up and went the RPM way which was quick and easy)

We had 20+ systems with these settings and they all failed mysql compile after the cronjob auto update.
(we have now disabled auto update on all systems and set mysql_force_compile to no)

I can give you access to a server having the issue if you want to look at it.
(it is a default centos7.9 install with only the directadmin install)
I have just tryed to compile mariadb and it also failed.

Also been wondering : have the default settings in options.conf changed over time ?
I did not remember that the systems had auto update active.

mysql_force_compile=yes was likely broken since the beginning on RPM based systems, it was fixed only recently (not to ignore the option), this would explain why it worked earlier, but earlier it was behaving as if mysql_force_compile=no would be set. I may check why compilation doesn’t work there, if there is any reason you’d like to use it.

This explains everything, I don't specially need/want compiled sql when rpm are available so no need to look further.
Thank you for the information.

Back