da_admin user and mariadb issues

americanintel

Verified User
Yes, I've gone over and executed this several times: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=45

My server was on CentOS 6 which was EOL so I performed a full reload with 8. I've setup DA hundreds of times but this one has been a bear.

So I get the "Error connecting to MySQL: Access denied for user: 'da_admin@localhost' (Using password: YES):" error which led me to the help item. But when I try to update the da_admin user:

ALTER USER 'da_admin'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'mypassword';
ERROR 1396 (HY000): Operation ALTER USER failed for 'da_admin'@'localhost'
MariaDB [(none)]> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO da_admin@localhost WITH GRANT OPTION;
ERROR 1133 (28000): Can't find any matching row in the user table

I can login to DA just fine with my admin user. I'm trying to restore my accounts with the Admin Backup function, which I've used many times before (I have a second disk on the server for backups)...which works other than it can't restore the databases which is a problem as every site has a db.

So.. I'm stuck as one of my weaknesses is dealing with databases.

I can login to mysql just fine via CL... my admin login to DA is good. The two don't seem to work together though. mysql.conf in /usr/local/directadmin/conf is good and correct.

What am I missing?

OS and DA is latest and greatest.

And if I try to build and reinstall MariaDB 10.4.19-1.el8 I get:
Version check failed. Got the following error when calling the 'mysql' command line client
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'da_admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
/usr/bin/mysqlcheck: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'da_admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES) when trying to connect Restarting MySQL.

I may have fixed it with this... was able to reinstall Maria successfully, about to attempt restores.

mysql -uroot -p

mysql> DROP USER 'da_admin'@'localhost';

mysql> CREATE USER 'da_admin'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'my_password';

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON * . * TO 'da_admin'@'localhost';

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

ALTER USER 'da_admin'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'my_password';

Nope..wouldn't let the da_admin user add a new user to the db during restoration... tried the help file and at least I'm not getting errors when I do that.

I'm having the same situation but with mysql 8 instead mariadb, i will try this and let you know

Back