Directadmin : move from CentOS to Ubuntu

Krisken

Verified User
Now that CentOS is EOL, I'm preparing an idea to transfer my directadmin VM to an Ubuntu environment.

Specifically: at the moment I have a XenServer environment with a CentOS virtual machine on which DirectAdmin is running. In my new virtual environment (using proxmox) I have already prepared a machine with Ubuntu 22.04.

What steps should I follow to transfer everything from the CentOS vm to the Ubuntu vm, and make sure everything continues to work as it should? †

Of course I have a daily backup of all files via DirectAdmin Backup.

and make sure everything continues to work as it should?
I think you might want to wait until Ubuntu 22.04 is supported. As far as I can see it's not supported yet. However, the info on the website are not always adjusted in time.

You can have al ook on the forums there are multiple postings about changing to another server, moving to another server.
Very shortly said, make sure there is not too big a difference between php and mysql/mariadb versions.
Take care everything is basically already working as should be working.
Use the admin backup/transfer to transfer all accounts. On restore, start restoring admins, then resellers, and users as last.
Check that on restore nameservers of the new machine are used.
Not really much more too it.

Hi Richard,
Thanks for your advice! You got a point regarding Ubuntu 22.04. But the solution herefor is simple : I just destroy that VM and i'll create a new one with Ubuntu 20.04 :)
Do I need to buy a new DA license at this point so I got one running on the CentOS vm and another one on the Ubuntu vm, or is there another solution? When you talk about "admin backup/transfer", i suppose both vm's will need DA at the same time?
Regarding the php / mysql / mariadb versions : i can install all the versions that i run on the centos vm also on the ubuntu vm before i'll transfer the accounts? Or it that a bad idea?
Again : thanks for your advice!

Hello Krisken.
As for the license... you could apply via mail for a transfer license. But if I understood correctly the last time DA wrote it. You have to buy a new license, then transfer the system and then transfer the license and get a refund for the just bought license.
But it got confusing sometimes. Better to contact the sales mail address to be sure.
However, maybe it's not needed, depending on how you go to work.

When you talk about "admin backup/transfer", i suppose both vm's will need DA at the same time?
Not per se.
It's not a real time backup and transfer. You can do it several ways. Use this option which does makes the backup locally and then transfer them (via ftp or rsync) to the other server or some other backup location.
Or you can use the build in FTP options to create the backups on the new server. If DA is already running on the new server they will be placed in the admins admin_backups directory by default if I remember correctly.
So it's a choice you can make.

You could also place all these user backups somewhere else, then reinstall the server and then transfer the backups to the admin_backups directory and restore them from there. This way you only need to have 1 DA version active at a time and no need to (temp)buy another license.
Downside of this all is that if something went wrong, you lost your old DA server.

i can install all the versions that i run on the centos vm also on the ubuntu vm before i'll transfer the accounts? Or it that a bad idea?
No that would just be a good idea. If you have the same versions already running and all other things needed already installed, like for example also letsencrypt and dkim and whatever you have configured now, it would be best if that was already in place before the restore.
Same for any customisations as far as possible.

As for the advise, you're welcome.

Back