DirectAdmin v1.646 RC

fln

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone!

We are happy to announce the release of DirectAdmin 1.646 RC.

This release brings a nice set of new features combined with improvements of existing features and bug fixes. Key new features are - updated system info page, ability to customize Evolution help-links, initial support for email clients auto-configuration.

In addition to all the improvements there is one visible behaviour change for the DirectAdmin login flow. A system default skin will be used not only for the username and password prompt but also for Two Factor Authentication Code (or security questions). Only after user is fully logged in - user skin will be used. Old behaviour was to use system skin for login prompt, but user skin for asking 2FA or security question.

Full release change log can be found here:

DirectAdmin 1.646

The update should be automatically available for all installations subscribed to the beta release channel.

We appreciate all the feedback on forums and issues reported in the ticketing system.

Thanks

This release comes with Composer 2.5.1 in the versions.txt, but we have omitted it from the change-log because it is not directly used by DA.

Why do i see if I want to restore backup from FTP an wrong location on dashboard ? people may get confused there

(files list in files section are retrieved from the FTP correctly anyway)

1672347452927.png

Help-me ?

presume you mean admin backups here from admin backup/transfer?
Hi Richard, yes if you want to restore from your local backup than the path is correct , but:
In that screenshot I have already choose in first step FTP as file location and so the location path in step 3 should be ftp.adres.com/backup or similar and it must NOT show me the local path

openlitespeed is running but DA System Information report as stopped.
Almalinux 9
@fln

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-20 195727.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-20 195727.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 11
For releases in beta release channel we dot not write a followup post, they usually contain fixes for issues reported in the ticketing system or forum, sometimes even new stuff. This particular release plugins integration in Evolution, a special token `|DOMAIN|` was not always being replaced with current active domain name.

@dinhphucv thanks for the note about OpenLiteSpeed, the we confirmed the issue and will release a fix soon (new endpoint uses slightly different method of checking if process is running and OLS reports service name as litespeed rather than openlitespped :)).

@Active8 - regarding the double help entries, please check if you have menu customizations. Maybe second help link is added as manual menu entry?

@Active8 - regarding the FTP backup path, is this something that have changes between DA 1.645 and 1.646?

The Thunderbird Mail Autoconfiguration uses port 465/TLS, which was deprecated many years ago in favour of STARTTLS over SMTP (port 587). I would recommend that this Autoconfiguration setup is changed to use 587/STARTTLS. Port 465 is assigned to something entirely different by IANA as well.

Yes, I know 465 works on most systems still, but why not leave old stuff in the past and move on. :)

regarding the double help entries, please check if you have menu customizations. Maybe second help link is added as manual menu entry?
Nope standard skin, only dark mode
1. Help icon hyperlink : https://my.server.com:2222/{{help}}
2. Help icon hyperlink : https://my.server.com:2222/redirect?to=https://evo.site-helper.com
regarding the FTP backup path, is this something that have changes between DA 1.645 and 1.646?
No idea just saw it , maybe it was longer, I normally use Enhanced skin :)

The Thunderbird Mail Autoconfiguration uses port 465/TLS, which was deprecated many years ago in favour of STARTTLS over SMTP (port 587). I would recommend that this Autoconfiguration setup is changed to use 587/STARTTLS. Port 465 is assigned to something entirely different by IANA as well.

Yes, I know 465 works on most systems still, but why not leave old stuff in the past and move on. :)

This was the case for quite some time, but latest trend in protocol specs is to return to using direct TLS and deprecate STARTTLS.

More details can be found in RFC8314. It recommends using submission over TLS on port 465 over STARTLS:

Code:
   ... This specification describes current
   recommendations for the use of TLS in interactions between Mail User
   Agents (MUAs) and Mail Access Servers, and also between MUAs and Mail
   Submission Servers.

In brief, this memo now recommends that:

o  Connections to Mail Submission Servers and Mail Access Servers be
      made using "Implicit TLS" (as defined below), in preference to
      connecting to the "cleartext" port and negotiating TLS using the
      STARTTLS command or a similar command.

Port 465 is now registered at IANA as Message Submission over TLS protocol.

Port 465 is assigned to something entirely different by IANA as well.
No it's not (certainly not since 2017). And it's not deprecated many years ago. It's just that port 587 got more favorite and used.

Another entry from the RFC which makes this very clear:
The RFC also states:

Note that there is no significant difference between the security properties of STARTTLS on port 587 and Implicit TLS on port 465 if the implementations are correct and if both the client and the server are configured to require successful negotiation of TLS prior to Message Submission.

The key phrase here being “require successful negotation”. If STARTTLS is not configured this way, then it is less secure than Implicit TLS.

From IANA:
submissions
465​
tcp​
Message Submission over TLS protocol[IESG][IETF_Chair]2017-12-12[RFC8314]

Also URL Rendezvous Directory for SSM, but that is not registered and not in any RFC. No reason yet to remove 465.

Whats going on? I did upgrade to DA 1.646, but can't even login cause the template isn't complete? Then i downgrade to DA 1.645 but when i now wanna downgrade/upgrade Apache its freezing all the time with "active command: apache" in DA/CB section and SSH also no luck, after hours still a issue..

custombuild.1672882665.40096.log
Restoring certificate and key, and turning on httpd for DirectAdmins's check.
Checking to ensure /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.ca is set.
Enabling httpd in systemd...
Checking to ensure /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.ca is set.
Using #.#.#.# for your server IP

ps aux | grep directadmim
1672883126700.png

Update after 10 hours: "Another instance of custombuild (PID 40096) is holding the lock", should i reinstall Plesk? :)

Last edited:
@Everterstraat, it seems CustomBuild is still running potentially stuck doing something. You couild get more detailed info on what back script is trying to do with command ps -elfH and look for the tree branch that starts with 40096 PID. You will se what other processes custombuild script have started.

If you want to forcefully terminate CustomBuild apache compilation you can kill process with PID 40096 and try running ./build apache from CLI again to see if it will get stuck again at the same stage.

Running bash -x ./build apache if you can reproduce CB getting stuck reliably you can run CB script in debug mode with bash -x ./build apache, it will show what commands are being executed by the script.

Back