DirectAdmin v1.657

fln

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone!

We are happy to announce the release of DirectAdmin 1.657.

Focus of this release was improved PHP compatibility making old PHP versions compatible with modern systems and adding PHP 8.3 support.

Full release change log can be found here:

DirectAdmin 1.657

The update should be automatically available for all installations subscribed to the current release channel.

We appreciate all the feedback on forums and issues reported in the ticketing system.

Thanks!

(y)(y)

Suggestion: make it a bit more visible to the user if they have copied the php configure script (or any compile script) to the custom/php/* folder. I see it happen more and more with questions and errors and they forgot that they copied it to the custom folder.

Maybe add it below this line I suggested a couple of years ago and @smtalk added it:

Code:
da build versions

NOTE: Some custom versions are set in /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom_versions.txt, this may prevent showing the actual latest version of the software: composer (2.6.5), nginx (1.25.3), php81 (8.1.26), php82 (8.2.13)

Thoughts?

Custom configure scripts are highlighted in the CustomBuild GUI. Example:1701340132585.png
I am not sure if printing some text in CB output would help. It requires users paying much more attention to the output, and CB output is already quite verbose so it is easy to miss it.

Create a new forwarder doesn't look good

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: fln
after last update, option "messages" show

Feature Disabled​

This feature has been disabled. Please, contact your administrator.

admin, reseller and user messages

update: fixed, in last update, option Customize evolution skin/Menu support center was unchecked

Last edited:
after last update, option "messages" show

Feature Disabled​

This feature has been disabled. Please, contact your administrator.

admin, reseller and user messages

update: fixed, in last update, option Customize evolution skin/Menu support center was unchecked
How did you solve it? Same problem here.

I resolved it. It was the Messages menu that was disabled, but in my case there was a duplicate menu with the same link and that caused the conflict.

I had to remove the duplicate menu that was disabled.

@fln this release has an issue with skin evolution because feature “lost password” doesn’t work and users don’t receive emails to change password.

I changed skin from evolution to enhanced the feature "lost-password" then feature was worked. In /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin I see file lost_password_request.txt and emails were delivered to users mailbox.

This problem isn't exist in older version.

Last edited:
Reactions: fln
I maybe have discovered a weird password issue. But I don't know 100% sure if this is this version related or something else. But we never experienced this before.

So we experienced something very weird, newest DA version.
Freshly installed server with new DA admin pass we got after installation.

We restored the old admin account from old server, so we have alle correct settings from the main domain which is in there.
Ofcourse yes, the current admin passwords will be overwritten and then we need to use the old admin password to login again, that is well known.

To get the new passwords again login via SSH and use:
passwd admin
to change all admin passwords back to the new we got before from setup.txt. Until now this has always worked this way perfectly.

However, this time we could login with the new admin password. But the ftp account for admin still had the old admin password.

We couldn't change that anymore, since in Directadmin GUI one has to use the old password to change it to a new one. This won't work, no matter what you select.

Tried this.
1.) Deselect admin and mysql password so only "Change FTP password" is selected
2.) Entered old admin pass as current directadmin password (which is working for FTP) and new password as the new password.
Result: old password incorrect
3. ) Tried putting in the new password everywhere:
Result: password not changed, same password used.

So there is no way to change only the FTP password this way.

To fix this, I had to change back the old password via the passwd command and then change to the new password again via DA itself.

Seems a bug to me, don't know if it's from 1.656 of 1.657 or something else has caused this.

for some reason " Cpanel Import" is missing in all our DA Servers.

was it moved somewhere else?

Edit:

Solved, this was because i removed the menu "cpanel import" from the "resellers". and it seems this menu in "resellers" affects also to "admin".

Last edited:
its extremely frustrating the amount of cases we have of clients loosing their SSL's, not renewing automatically them. and support is very unfriendly and slow.

am i the only one? we have few clients every week with SSL alert because their SSL was not renewed? s:

Don't know, did you doublecheck everything required for autossl was enabled in DA? Because we migrated 3 servers in the last 1,5 week and not have seen any issues yet.

most cases aren't related to a migration, but mostly to a SSL Cert expired, and never renewed.

the GUI doesn't provide any information to if it tried or not, when it tried, or why it failed, if it tried and failed.

the solution we have to do, waiting always a lot for directadmin support reply, is to make manual attempts, changing sometimes needed from letsencrypt to ZeroSSL, or with/without comodin.

And sometimes the SSL Cert just dissapears, and we have to manually request a new one. again, no way to find out how it dissapears. let me rephrase that, it does not dissapears, it gets replaced by an SSL without the subdomains. And DA Support reply is to try on comodin instead, totally ignoring the real issue.

when it tried, or why it failed, if it tried and failed.
The Letsencrypt notifications itself sometimes give a clue as on to why it failed. However once a while we have that too on some domains, mostly timeout reason and no retry or same timeout, while renewing via commandline works. If you mean that happens, yes we encounter that too, but already for a longer period of time, not since this release.
We never seen any cert dissapearing, however, maybe others have the same issue. Answering to try Comodo instead does indeed not sound as a solution, but we don't now what's going on (info wise) in that ticket, so I would wait until you get a reply in this thread by fln as he monitors these threads and I'm sure he will all give us answers to our questions as soon as he has time.

I've also accidentally noticed some strange behavior in the latest current and stable when it comes to passwords - changing passwd on ssh doesn't automatically logout user from Directadmin which has always happened in previous version.

@pat0 Correct. I can confirm that. I was logged in and was not logged out, not even on a page refresh. Only on logging out and logging in again the new pass was asked.

The Letsencrypt notifications itself sometimes give a clue as on to why it failed. However once a while we have that too on some domains, mostly timeout reason and no retry or same timeout, while renewing via commandline works. If you mean that happens, yes we encounter that too, but already for a longer period of time, not since this release.
We never seen any cert dissapearing, however, maybe others have the same issue. Answering to try Comodo instead does indeed not sound as a solution, but we don't now what's going on (info wise) in that ticket, so I would wait until you get a reply in this thread by fln as he monitors these threads and I'm sure he will all give us answers to our questions as soon as he has time.
well it's friday, and no reply here or help on ticket.

and we are just stacking clients complaints, and servers with problems.

i'm not saying is general. we have around 1000 customers in several DA Servers, and the issue is right now for 4-5 clients, but is recurring, and support of DA is totally non-existent. we already migrated 2 to Cpanel to just avoid this issue, but we would like the other way around, from Cpanel to DA, and not viceversa.

Back