DirectAdmin v1.668

fln

Administrator
Staff member
We are happy to announce the release of DirectAdmin 1.668.

This release finishes the main server TLS certificate management UI. It is now possible to enable HTTPS and issue automatic certificate from the web panel. Evolution skin received a major change in how widgets work. Web server templates were updated to drop support for obsolete features and some smaller changes and improvements.

A full release change log is here:

DirectAdmin 1.668

The update should be automatically available for all installations subscribed to the current release channel.

We appreciate all the feedback on forums and issues reported in the ticketing system.

Thanks!

Motivation for this feature removal is:
  • Feature was incomplete, it did not work well in some configurations
  • It creates security risks, because multiple websites can be reached using same (hostname). Cookies set by user A website could be read by user B website.
We do not have a substitute for this, but if there is a demand for such feature we can implement a safer alternative for this.

Sad to see the removal of mod_userdir, this is still quite a popular feature - or at least, we've had quite a few customers this year alone ask for it.

https://www.skipdns.link/ is something that's worth a look for those who don't want to update their device's hosts file to achieve what used to be possible with mod_userdir.

^^ An alternative is to lock the whole site to the client IP (either via webserver, or, PHP)...
This is what I do when I develop new sites I want to be hidden until ready.

In some cases, there seems to be a reference to userdir in /etc/nginx/directadmin-ips.conf. This config holds IPv6 addresses on a server we had the issue with. I'm guessing these are aliases of IPv4 addresses. The error we got was:

Code:
nginx: [emerg] open() "/etc/nginx/nginx-userdir.conf" failed (2: No such file or directory) in /etc/nginx/directadmin-ips.conf:14

We got this after updating our servers, and only on servers with Nginx/Apache. Rewriting the configs doesn't work. As a workaround I created the userdir config file.

I've raised this through a support ticket. Unfortunately with bugs like this, some of your support techs have no clue. And they are not very proactive in getting help from a more senior tech. I hope you can improve on this in the future.

@ju5t thanks for reporting the issue. The configuration failure you have described can be triggered by removing userdir_access entry completely from the CustomBuild options.conf file.

The expected way of disabling this feature is to set userdir_access=no in the options.conf. Removing the line completely a triggers backwards-compatibility mode in main directadmin service. So DA treats the feature as ON, but CB treats it as OFF.

An update is released to fix it.

Note: we recommend managing the CB options.conf file either via GUI or with the da build set ... command. This gives CustomBuild a chance to add missing options to the options.conf file or remove no longer needed options.

Back