DNS and DirectAdmin - my neverending story...

Krisauseu

Verified User
Hi,

This annoying topic is getting on my nerves. I have it now made, combined with ClouDNS.net , to get my ns1 & ns2 working, without any domain provider crying, only 1 IP, need 2 different and so on...

In practice all is working well. But nevertheless I want it now 100% perfect.
Intodns.com for example, shows me 3 issues, 2 marked red, 1 in yellow:

Missing nameservers reported by parentFAIL: The following nameservers are listed at your nameservers as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the parent nameservers (see RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these nameservers are working.If they are not working ok, you may have problems!
ns2.host.de
ns1.host.de
ErrorMissing nameservers reported by your nameserversERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
dns52.cloudns.net
dns54.cloudns.net
dns51.cloudns.net
dns53.cloudns.net
This is listed as an ERROR because there are some cases where nasty problems can occur (if the TTLs vary from the NS records at the root servers and the NS records point to your own domain, for example).

Yellow: SOA MNAME entryWARNING: SOA MNAME (ns1.host.de) is not listed as a primary nameserver at your parent nameserver!

Can anyone translate this for me? Where do I have to set the missing entries?

Where do I have to set the missing entries?
Parent nameserver would normally mean the registrar of host.de so the glue record. Maybe typo?
But yes, more an more registrars don't allow 1 ip or even 2 ip's on the same subnet as nameservers.

Edit: Oh wait... sorry the errors are all pointing tot he cloudns.net nameservers, so must be something else.
I don't use cloudns, so no clue. Still check your ns1.host.de and ns2.host.de with your registrar.

@johannes you have a clue about this or @zEitEr maybe?

Can you share the domain that you're debugging? Are you using a hidden-master? Does CloudNS have a vanity nameserver service that you're attempting to use?

There are multiple sets of NS records. One set is at the registry, and one is at your nameserver. It's expected that these are consistent and return the same values when queried. It doesn't appear from the error message that this is true.

Did you add NS records to your zonefile (ns1.host.de/ns2.host.de)? Remove them.

What are the NS servers at your registrar? Looks like the cloudns NS are the ones at your registrar so you would need to change thos if you want to use ns1.host.de and ns2.host.de

If you need 2 IP's just use a ipv6 address as number 2 ;)

The domain is lowendhost.de and therefore the name servers ns1.lowendhost.de and ns2,......
CloudNS has a vanity nameserver service, but I don't use it. They want additional 25 € per month.

I use it this way:

And CloudNS is also my domain registrar for Lowendhost.de . I can't add or remove any NS entries there. So I have to delete them in DirectAdmin?

Regards Kristian

Your NS servers are:
Code:
Domain: lowendhost.de
Nserver: dns51.cloudns.net
Nserver: dns52.cloudns.net
Nserver: dns53.cloudns.net
Nserver: dns54.cloudns.net

You can check this with an whois

And yes you have two NS records but you should change the NS at your domain provider.

So if you want to use

ns1.lowendhost.de
ns2.lowendhost.de

You need to add them at the registry. But i think .de does not want an NS with 2 same IP's. You don't have IPv6?

Why not use the GLUE option? Much easier and you can still use the slave dns right?

You're missing "glue" records, which while not detrimental to DNS overall, improves performance. These are A/AAAA records that the registry nameserver returns for your nameservers to save an additional DNS lookup.

Once you add the glue records, in _theory_ you could modify your domain's nameservers to ns1.lowendhost and ns2.lowendhost.

The IP addresses you register for your glue records are going to be an issue. With vanity nameservers, I suspect that ClouDNS will give you a static pair of IP addresses, but just by registering nameservers using their IP addresses for dns51.cloudns and dns52.cloudns put you at risk of them breaking inadvertently.

IMHO, I'd forget about using your own nameservers and just use theirs. This means that you edit the nameservers listed in DirectAdmin to ones that are provided by ClouDNS.

Just setup glue records for your own nameservers.

Keep the slave dns setup running so the records will sync with the NS from cloudns. Then you have your own nameservers (via the NS of cloudns) but you still can use DirectAdmin to edit the DNS because it will be synced to the cloudns servers.

Back