Do I need an SSL certificate for a website that allows people to make donations over

brianflhome

It is technically a foundation, a non profit organization website, which will allow people to make donations for the cause. Is purchasing an SSL certificate for this site a good idea?
If i have to purchase then which one is better for such a site?

If they were to donate via a third-party payment gateway like PayPal, you probably wouldn't need an SSL.

However, if you are storing personal details about them (but not financial), an SSL would be a good privacy tool.

If i have to purchase then which one is better for such a site?
I'm not sure what you mean by better.

Most small websites using Secure Certificates use Domain Authenticated Certificates; to get one all you need to do is prove you get email at an address at the domain. They're very inexpensive. Most bank websites use Extended Validation Certificates, which require that the issuer prove to their satisfaction that you are who you say you are. There are several types in the middle, often with different levels of public acceptance and different warranties.

Note that no company has ever admitted paying a warranty; I'm resonably sure that none of ever been paid.

Note also that no one visiting your site is eligible for a warranty. They pay off (if they do at all) to people who thought they were visiting your site, but weren't, but only if that site had a Certificate from them.

We and others sell all types of Certificates at various levels of diligence done before they're issued, we offer such Certificates with or without installation on DirectAdmin; information found in our post in the Advertising subforum, here.

Jeff

Any site with a form that has anything you do not want hijacked should have a ssl certificate.

Back