dovecot.index permissions/ownership change

mjm

Verified User
I've had this issue popup with a couple of users recently. I manually go in and fix the permissions but then a couple of hours/day/weeks later it reverts...

Here's some output from /var/log/maillog

Code:
Dec 21 09:38:51 server dovecot[21571]: IMAP([email protected]): open() failed with index file /home/domuser/imap/domain.dom/user/Maildir/.Azorie Blue/dovecot.index: Permission denied
Dec 21 09:38:51 server dovecot[21571]: IMAP([email protected]): open() failed with index file /home/domuser/imap/domain.dom/user/Maildir/.Duke Video/dovecot.index: Permission denied

Looking at those files, they're owned by another user.

Code:
 ls -la Maildir/
-rw-------  1 user2 mail   5184 Dec 21 08:14 dovecot.index
-rw-------  1 user2 mail 313344 Dec 21 07:23 dovecot.index.cache
-rw-------  1 user2 mail   2472 Dec 21 08:14 dovecot.index.log
-rw-rw----  1 domuser     mail     85 Oct 22 13:55 dovecot-keywords
-rw-------  1 user2 mail  20973 Dec 21 07:20 dovecot-uidlist

I've run the ./set_permissions.sh script and this is still happening.

Quite bizarre. Any help is appreciated.

i've having the same problem as you after updating to dovecot 1.17, do you find the solution yet?

after manually changing permissions a couple more times the issue seems to have gone away. i haven't updated software or changed any config. i'm stumped. :(

I fixed mine. It's related to effective uid/gid. For unknown reason, dovecot chose a wrong effective uid to read the user's home maildir and resulted in permission denied errors. I had to edit the /etc/virtual/<domain>/passwd file manually to change the gid to the correct one.

You should first turn on debug mode in /etc/dovecot.conf, restart dovecot for more information. Hope this helps you.:)

I know this is an old thread but I seem to be having this issue with one of my domains...

What would cause this? and how do I manually change the permissions or edit the passwd file?

I fixed mine. It's related to effective uid/gid. For unknown reason, dovecot chose a wrong effective uid to read the user's home maildir and resulted in permission denied errors. I had to edit the /etc/virtual/<domain>/passwd file manually to change the gid to the correct one.

How do I do this? what is the uid/gid, and how do i know what to change it to?

Sorry to be ignorant but thanks for any help.

-Mike

cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/
./set_permissions email
./set_permissions user_homes

Here is the usage:

Usage:
./set_permissions.sh all

./set_permissions.sh da_files
./set_permissions.sh user_homes
./set_permissions.sh mysql
./set_permissions.sh email
./set_permissions.sh logs
./set_permissions.sh etc_configs

internal:
./set_permissions.sh maildir <user> <path/Maildir>

scsi,

This worked to fix my email problem so thank you for that post.

However, Now MySQL is completely screwed up and I don't know what is going on. I ran the ./set_permissions.sh all script and I believe that was what caused the problem.

Now I can't create databases, and none of my previous databases are working properly. This is very urgent as I have a lot of clients using databases, myself included.

Any idea how to fix this problem or why this is happening?

When I click on MySQL management in the user level I am getting the following error...

Error connecting to MySQL: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (13)

Thanks again,
Mike

I am sorry for posting so many times in a row....

I panicked because this would have been a huge issue if my clients noticed but I just restarted mysql and it fixed the problem.

Maybe directadmin should include the reboot of mysql in that script, or a warning after it is run?

Thanks again!
Mike

I've run the set_permissions script many times without getting that error.

Jeff

cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/
./set_permissions email
./set_permissions user_homes

Here is the usage:

Usage:
./set_permissions.sh all

./set_permissions.sh da_files
./set_permissions.sh user_homes
./set_permissions.sh mysql
./set_permissions.sh email
./set_permissions.sh logs
./set_permissions.sh etc_configs

internal:
./set_permissions.sh maildir <user> <path/Maildir>
I wonder if it's possible to use the script to set permissions for ONE SPECIFIC user... Is it?

After some searching found this:
./set_permissions.sh set_user_home <user>
Is this valid?

Last edited:
Back