Dovecot stopped working after update

patrickkasie

Verified User
Dear forum,

I have just updated Dovecot and immediately after that, the process doesn't want to start. When opening the system messages - /var/log/messages in log viewer, the following errors pop up:

Code:
Feb  7 09:57:25 vps18 systemd: Started Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server.
Feb  7 09:57:25 vps18 dovecot: doveconf: Error: Couldn't load plugin /usr/lib/dovecot/settings/libmanagesieve_login_settings.so: Module is for different ABI version 2.3.ABIv17(2.3.17.1) (we have 2.3.ABIv18(2.3.18))
Feb  7 09:57:25 vps18 dovecot: doveconf: Error: Couldn't load plugin /usr/lib/dovecot/settings/libmanagesieve_settings.so: Module is for different ABI version 2.3.ABIv17(2.3.17.1) (we have 2.3.ABIv18(2.3.18))
Feb  7 09:57:25 vps18 dovecot: doveconf: Error: Couldn't load plugin /usr/lib/dovecot/settings/libpigeonhole_settings.so: Module is for different ABI version 2.3.ABIv17(2.3.17.1) (we have 2.3.ABIv18(2.3.18))
Feb  7 09:57:25 vps18 dovecot: doveconf: Warning: NOTE: You can get a new clean config file with: doveconf -Pn > dovecot-new.conf
Feb  7 09:57:25 vps18 dovecot: doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:47: ssl_protocols has been replaced by ssl_min_protocol
Feb  7 09:57:25 vps18 dovecot: doveconf: Error: Could not find a minimum ssl_min_protocol setting from ssl_protocols = !SSLv2 !SSLv3: Unrecognized protocol 'SSLv2'
Feb  7 09:57:25 vps18 dovecot: doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 116: Unknown setting: managesieve_max_line_length
Feb  7 09:57:25 vps18 systemd: dovecot.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=89/n/a
Feb  7 09:57:25 vps18 systemd: Unit dovecot.service entered failed state.
Feb  7 09:57:25 vps18 systemd: dovecot.service failed.

On a different server, the Dovecot process does want to start, but it does show the same error

Code:
Feb  7 11:02:56 vps12 systemd: Stopping Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server...
Feb  7 11:02:56 vps12 systemd: Stopped Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server.
Feb  7 11:02:56 vps12 systemd: Started Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server.
Feb  7 11:02:56 vps12 dovecot: doveconf: Error: Couldn't load plugin /usr/lib/dovecot/settings/libmanagesieve_login_settings.so: Module is for different ABI version 2.3.ABIv13(2.3.13) (we have 2.3.ABIv18(2.3.18))
Feb  7 11:02:56 vps12 dovecot: doveconf: Error: Couldn't load plugin /usr/lib/dovecot/settings/libmanagesieve_settings.so: Module is for different ABI version 2.3.ABIv13(2.3.13) (we have 2.3.ABIv18(2.3.18))
Feb  7 11:02:56 vps12 dovecot: doveconf: Error: Couldn't load plugin /usr/lib/dovecot/settings/libpigeonhole_settings.so: Module is for different ABI version 2.3.ABIv13(2.3.13) (we have 2.3.ABIv18(2.3.18))

What is the next option that should be done? Wait for an update?

What is your OS?

In the meantime you can downgrade to the previous working version with custom_versions.txt

Can you try to rebuild pigeonhole and then see if that error notice goes away?
Seems something with sieve and pigeonhole is conflicting. I don't use them anymore already a long time.

That's odd. I'm not using pigeonhole. I do not have the build option in custombuild. Do I just enable pigeonhole and build it just for the sake of rebuilding it? Or could that break things?

I've executed that and it seems to be fixed right now, though I don't feel like enabling pigeonhole -> building -> updating Dovecot -> disabling pigeonhole across 30+ VPS's unless I really have to.

Even when in options.conf it's set to no? That's not good.
No,, but it was default on in options.com
When you look at options then you will see that its default value: Yes (when you hover with your mouse over the ! mark)

Last edited:
Correct, but the servers are last installed in 2020, so that was before pigeonhole changed to on by default, so it's still no in my options.conf files.

Ah I was mixing up things. Patrick didn't have the option in custombuild. So then it was on. I do have the setting and its set to off.

Also the option.conf file is not updated long term.
Are you sure of that? Because I have seen some new features added in options.conf in the last few years, which weren't there before. They are placed at the bottom of the options.conf.

AARGH! Just been checking to verify and now I'm not really happy.
I've just seen that Pigeonhole is set to YES in two of my servers in the options.conf while it's NO in the other server. On installation I verified them all so it's odd that on 2 of them it's enabled now.

Well... as long as I don't have issues with it, then it can run.
Problem is dat I have to enable that on the main server too now so they all run the same way.

Are you sure of that?
Well I did suggest a while back that it should update.

Well I did suggest a while back that it should update.
Yes, update like remove the obsolete things (like the ssl_host thing), I thought you ment update like put new things in.

Problem is that on re-generation you will also loose several options which are not in there by default on creation.

I disabled that stuff after it got my server in trouble 2 times. Once and half a year later again, that was around 3 years ago I guess. Not sure.
Since then I didn't want to use sieve anymore.
First time I see trouble again, I will uninstall it and then it keeps off.

Back