E-mail error

dorucrisan

Verified User
I created few e-mail accounts on fresh install server. When sending email, from some corresponding accounts (not all), I receive this error:
550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)
DKIM is enabled. I checked the internet, it says it may be DNS error. Please kindly advise what exact settings I need to do in order to avoid this error.
Thank you.

Hello,

The receiving mail server will send an "Invalid HELO name" message when the sending server's HELO message contains a hostname that doesn't resolve to the sending server's IP address or the PTR record for the sending server's IP address doesn't point to the hostname in the sending server's HELO message.

PTR can be changed either in a dashboard of your server provider or by a ticket request. DNS settings can be changed either in DirectAdmin or at nameservers which are authorities for your domains.

If you want someone to fix it for you, you should be ready to provide login details to the mentioned dashboards.

Hello,

The receiving mail server will send an "Invalid HELO name" message when the sending server's HELO message contains a hostname that doesn't resolve to the sending server's IP address or the PTR record for the sending server's IP address doesn't point to the hostname in the sending server's HELO message.

PTR can be changed either in a dashboard of your server provider or by a ticket request. DNS settings can be changed either in DirectAdmin or at nameservers which are authorities for your domains.

If you want someone to fix it for you, you should be ready to provide login details to the mentioned dashboards.
Thank you so much for the reply. I would prefer to be fixed using remote access, like Anydesk or Team Viewer. I set all the required records, maybe I have done something wrong, can you please help and check?
1716306033158.png

I checked how your domain and IP resolve. Everything looks fine, as well as SPF record seems OK. It is not clear whether or not your server uses IPv6. If a server interface is configured to use IPv6, then Exim will use IPv6, so you should do the same for IPv6.

Everything looks fine
Not really I think.

161.97.122.222 points to mail.nettrading.ro (I would suggest not to use mail in a hostname)

But when telnetting to mail.nettrading.ro (or the ip address, the mailserver answers with:
220 host.digimarket.ro ESMTP Exim 4.97.1 etc.

That is a better hostname, but it does not correspond with the rDNS/PTR record, which might explain the invalid helo name notice.

I would suggest to change the rDNS/PTR of this ip to the host.digimarket.ro domain name.

I checked how your domain and IP resolve. Everything looks fine, as well as SPF record seems OK. It is not clear whether or not your server uses IPv6. If a server interface is configured to use IPv6, then Exim will use IPv6, so you should do the same for IPv6.
Server does not use IPv6.

Thanks Richard. Please allow to explain. Server was installed using digimarket.ro domain. Host name, while installing was set to host.digimarket.ro.
Nettrading.ro is an added domain on that sever. We have the email addresses on nettrading domain as you see. mail.nettrading.ro is the SMTP server name as we set it in outlook. Problem is that sometimes we get errors from corresponding parties after sending the message. Some don't receive message and we do not know that, not receiving any error message. If there is anything I can do, plese tell me exactly, I am not an expert, only a user that is learning from his own mistakes. Thanks all.

The hostname host.digimarket.ro should be added in DNS, and this is a minimal required. If you want to use the hostname. So you would need to go to DirectAdmin DNS manager at admin level and create a new DNS zone with name host.digimarket.ro pointing to 161.97.122.222

I did not mean creating PTR record in Directadmin. It is no valid actually and it won't work that way. It should be another domain host.digimarket.ro added into DNS instead.

Back