Email a copy of all messages to: does not work

pucky

Verified User
This feature does not seem to do a thing. Email a copy of all messsages to a particular email address for ADMIN does not send any messages to the correctponding email address. System messages are going to my username but a copy is not sent to me altername address even if its setup as a single email address or one that is spearated with a comma, [email protected], [email protected].

14 years later, I have the same problem. Does anybody know why this doesn't work?

Which distro?
What do the logs say?

I presume you put those emails in "message system" and not under admin email address?

I'm using DA 1.59.5 on CentOS 7.6.1810. Under Hello Admin -> Messages -> Options I see a checkbox for e-mail a copy of all messages to an email address. The problem is that I'm not receiving the emails... This is a bit weird because when creating a new account, the new user receives the instructions via email, so I'm guessing it's not a problem with sending emails...

I'm new to DA so I'm not sure exactly what log to check for this particular task.

You're probably using the newer skin, I don't use that but due to your discribtion I presume that is the correct place to do this.
If an email is to be send, it needs to be generated by directadmin and is send via Exim if I'm not mistaken.
I would certainly first upgrade to the newest Directadmin version 1.60.4 to be sure.

If it still not works, look at the exim logs first.
Try these logfiles:
/var/log/exim/mainlog
/var/log/exim/rejectlog
/var/log/exim/paniclog
/var/log/directadmin/error.log
/var/log/directadmin/errortaskq.log

See if any of these contain the email address you configured to receive those mails and see if there are any errors there.

Thanks , Richard! I have found multiple entries in Exim's mainlog. This is one of them (I have replaced the hostname & my email address):

Code:
2020-04-08 09:24:22 cwd=/usr/local/directadmin 2 args: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t
2020-04-08 09:24:22 1jM6wY-0006k9-4T <= [email protected] U=diradmin P=local S=955 T="New Message: The service 'httpd' on server HOST.XXX.XX is currently down" from <[email protected]> for MY_EMAIL_ADDRESS
2020-04-08 09:24:22 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1jM6wY-0006k9-4T
2020-04-08 09:24:22 1jM6wY-0006k9-4T ** MY_EMAIL_ADDRESS F=<[email protected]> R=virtual_aliases:
2020-04-08 09:24:22 cwd=/var/spool/exim 7 args: /usr/sbin/exim -t -oem -oi -f <> -E1jM6wY-0006k9-4T
2020-04-08 09:24:22 1jM6wY-0006kE-6b <= <> R=1jM6wY-0006k9-4T U=mail P=local S=2259 T="Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" from <> for [email protected]
2020-04-08 09:24:22 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1jM6wY-0006kE-6b
2020-04-08 09:24:22 1jM6wY-0006kE-6b => :blackhole: <[email protected]> R=system_aliases
2020-04-08 09:24:22 1jM6wY-0006kE-6b Completed
2020-04-08 09:24:22 1jM6wY-0006k9-4T Completed

Any idea what might be causing this? As I mentioned earlier - I am able to send emails to new users with connection details.

I don't see an error. Mail is bounced but it looks like someting is missing. Isn't there something after "for MY_EMAIL_ADDRESS" at the second line?
I don't see anything about the receiving system. Or are you using a local email address?
If yes, check with an external email address what it says in that case.

Check /etc/exim.conf which version exim.conf do you have?

I have Exim Version 4.93.0.4.
The setup is as follows: the hostname of the server DA is installed on has this pattern - HOST.MYDOMAIN.COM. My email address is [email protected].
I am able to see Exim works by running this command: exim -v [email protected], but I cannot send to [email protected].

MYDOMAIN.COM has MX entries for Google and I can see them by running nslookup:
Non-authoritative answer:
MYDOMAIN.COM mail exchanger = 10 ALT4.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com.
MYDOMAIN.COM mail exchanger = 5 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com.
MYDOMAIN.COM mail exchanger = 5 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com.
MYDOMAIN.COM mail exchanger = 1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com.
MYDOMAIN.COM mail exchanger = 10 ALT3.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com.

So if my host can get the correct MX entries... is Exim somehow trying to send the email to the local inboxes (and fails because that user doesn't exist) just because the hostname is a subdomain?

I have Exim Version 4.93.0.4.
That's not what I asked.... Please try again.

is Exim somehow trying to send the email to the local inboxes (and fails because that user doesn't exist) just because the hostname is a subdomain?
I don't quite understand this one. I'm not native English either. But the use doesn't exist? Why not? Is the mydomain.com not on your server but an external email address?
I don't know what Google has to do with all this.

If you're using Google as external mailserver, I hope you have done all settings correctly.
Which is that you have to go into the seperate MX records page (under email management), select Google Suite MX, click save and deselect:

Use this server to handle my emails.
If not, change the MX record and uncheck this option
And click save here too.

A hostname is always a subdomain because it always says host.domain.com otherwise it's not a hostname. ;)
Unless you mean something else, in that case please clarify.

Oh man... I was that checkbox - use this server to handle my emails... I feel so dumb! The thing is that I had this particular domain for more than 10 years now and have used Google as the email provider since, when I ended up using the domain as the main one for DA, I only checked to see that the MX entries were still valid, which they were, but I never thought of actually going to the Mail Settings for the DA User that gets automatically created...

Thanks for the help!

You're welcome.
Next time, please don't up 14 year old threads but create a new one, even if the issue is the same, solutions may vary. ;)

Back