Email Files not showing up!!

David

Verified User
Hello,

I am having a serious issue with DA being flaky when it comes to creating email files such as the /var/spool/virtual/ email files. Those would be the files all the email sits in so webmail can access it.

When I create a new email account in one of the hosting accounts, that important email holding file is not created.

We're making a mass server move, and right now most email is not working - I need HEEELP!

Hello,

Files in /var/spool/mail/* and /var/spool/virtual/domain.com/* are created when an email is sent. You can test sending yourself and email locally to make sure exim is setup to receivce emails by running:
Code:
exim [email][email protected][/email]
Subject: testing 123.

testing
The single period on it's own line will end the email. Then check to see if the "user" file in /var/spool/virtual/domain.com/user has been created by exim.

If the file isn't created yet, the vm-pop3d will just add a simple log message "using /dev/null for testing" which means the file doesn't exist yet so it's using an imaginary empty file for now.

It's normal for the file to not exist until an email is sent.

John

Also have the same problem with:

Unable to use michael's mailbox; using /dev/null for testing

even after sending myself an email.

What to do next?

Try looking in /var/log/exim at mainlog and rejectlog, and make sure exim tried to deliver it. That should show you what it attempted to do.

toml said:
Try looking in /var/log/exim at mainlog and rejectlog, and make sure exim tried to deliver it. That should show you what it attempted to do.

Well in the /var/log/exim log there is a line telling me:

R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (13):Permission denied: failed to create directories for /var/mail: Permission denied

So proberbly something went wrong with my installation. is there a script to reinstall this?

try this as root
PHP:
chmod 1777 /var/spool/mail
chgrp root:mail /var/spool/mail
/var/mail should be a softlink to that directory.

toml said:
try this as root
PHP:
/var/mail should be a softlink to that directory.

the strange thing is there isn't a mail directory.

I do have /var/spool/exim

and within that directory there is an input directory with the emails that i have been trying to send.

try this one then
PHP:
mkdir /var/spool/mail
ln -sf /var/spool/mail /var/mail

Back