Error: "its parent directory writable by the server?" - website crushed

silvia.ghirotti

Good evening,

I am writing to you because I am having huge trouble with my work website.

In the last few weeks, I tried to upload several times new media inside my WordPress but it keeps popping out the following message:

"Is its parent directory writable by the server?"

I tried to search for a tutorial to resolve the issue and I found the following instructions that I followed:

Method 1 – Changing the Uploads Folder Directory​

Sometimes, the “Is its parent directory writable by the server?” issue occurs because WordPress can’t recognize the location of the uploads folder.
You might face the problem after you have just moved your site to another hosting provider. To fix it, you need to modify your WordPress config file:
  1. Access your hosting file manager or FTP, and search for the wp-config.php file. It is commonly located in the root folder of your website (/public_html).
    The location of wp-config.php file
  2. Open the file and add the following code:define( 'UPLOADS', 'wp-content/uploads' );
    before this line:
    require_once(ABSPATH . 'wp-settings.php');
  3. Save the file. Now, try to upload your media files again.

But when I did that and saved the file, all the codes from that file disappeared and the website crashed immediately.
Right now, I cannot restore the codes and I don't know what to do about it.

Let me know if someone could help me. I also opened a ticket through the support but I didn't receive any answers.

Kind regards,

Silvia

Good evening.
Well... first of all. This is not a forum for customer support. You need to contact your hosting provider.
This is only a forum for Directadmin customers, who paid for DA, not for people who are using it via their hosting provider (which is a DA customer).

That having said... I never heard you have to create uploads yourself and specify it in the wp-config.php file.
So I would start by removing that statement again.

It's not that wp can't find the uploads path, but there is a problem writing to it.
So you have to open the wp-content folder and then have a look at the write permissions of the uploads folder in there.
Is it missing? Then something went wrong but you can create it yourself.
However, as said..... you have to contact your host for support because it can also have other reasons like maybe mod_security or something like it.

Unless you are an admin? Let us know.

Back