exim.pl - Attempt to free unreferenced scalar

MarcusHammond

Hi,

I have just updated my OS to AlmaLinux8. Before that I was running DA on CentOS7.
Since the upgrade, i'm getting constant errors in exim:
Code:
2022-04-06 20:57:58 Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x2686a80, Perl interpreter: 0x2683b00.
2022-04-06 21:08:35 Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x2686a80, Perl interpreter: 0x2683b00.
2022-04-06 21:09:00 Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x26857f0, Perl interpreter: 0x2682870.
2022-04-06 21:09:08 Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x26857f0, Perl interpreter: 0x2682870.

These errors prevent normal mail delivery and SMTP Auth. They trigger every time you try to do smtpauth and prevent successful connections
Code:
perl version: v5.26.3 built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi
exim.pl version: 32 (tried 24 as well, no difference)
Linux 4.18.0-348.20.1.el8_5.x86_64 #1 SMP
DirectAdmin 1.63.8
Exim 4.83

I have searched, but found no mention of this issue related to DirectAdmin or exim.pl
Anyone have a suggestion what to do or try?

Did you do a inplace upgrade from version 7 to 8? OR is it a fresh install?

If you did a inplace upgrade. You might review this post

Exim 4.83
Your exim version very is old.
Latest version of Exim: 4.95
Installed version of Exim: 4.95

Remove any custom version text and rebuild exim.
Code:
cat /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom_versions.txt

Which would be something like this
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build set_fastest
./build update
./build set exim yes
./build set eximconf yes
./build set eximconf_release 4.5
./build update
./build exim
./build exim_conf

Last edited:
Thanks Brent. It was a in-place upgrade form centOS7 to AlmaLinux8.

To restore functionality I ended up doing a fresh install (Fresh AlmaLinux8 with fresh DA) and the problem was gone.

I will review the links you provided. On my fresh install exim is version 4.95, so potentially it may have been an issue with that.

Just checked the backup I have from /usr/local/directadmin of the old (failing) install:
no custom_versions.txt present. I think it was a da_exim package installed via yum, if I remember correctly.

I'm running into the same issues and can't really reinstall due to many users in the DirectAdmin installation.
Any other possible solutions are more than welcome :)

Nevermind, managed fixing it by going into the CustomBuild options and enabling Exim with latest version from there. Then running a full update of CustomAdmin from the main page.

Ah, that explains the fix. Thanks!
Still having issues sending mails. When sending to a domain that is on the same server but has external mail (Exchange) and the "Use this server to handle email" checkmark is not enabled but I'm still seeing error "lowest numbered MX record points to local host". As if it's trying to deliver the mail locally even when the local mailserver checkmark is disabled.

Hmm. when doing a dig mx check of the recipient domain it's using local DNS records that are incorrect.

maybe domain don't use servers DNS setting, and using domain-registrar settings or other provider?

That was the solution indeed. Edited the etc/resolv.conf file to include:
Bash:
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Back