Exim vs send e-mail another server

inomi13

Verified User
On server A I have exim and DNS. I parked domain and I set record A to server B. On server B, I have installed Wordpress and I have configured plugin SMTP. I couldn’t send e-mail from server B before I didn’t add adres IP server B to exim white list. Now everything works but I’m looking for explanation why aplication which is one the same server B and use Phpmailer works without add adres IP in exim white list?

This because if you use SMTP you do a login on the server who also has the domain. So you will get a Bad HELO - Host impersonating domainname.com. Because you cannot send an EHLO/HELO to a mailserver with the same domain.

PHPMailer doesn't use the login to another server but sends mail directly from the original server without login in to the other server.

Last edited:
In wordpress plugins smtp I have declared login, pass, smtp server, port so this configuration doesn’t difrrent like configuration in phpmailer. I know that wordpress native use php mail but I thought that smpt plugin in wordpress works like phpmailer.

so this configuration doesn’t difrrent like configuration in phpmailer.
So where do you configure login and pass in phpmailer? So there you got the difference.
PHP mail doesn't use that kind of authentication so it's just smtp, (could be done over hostname) and not authenticated smtp as the plugin does.

@Stije Of course you are right. Phpmail sends without authentication because they are running on localhost. My case is a bit different because I am not using native php mail. I meant to compare Phpmailer library with smtp plugin in wordpress. I configured both solutions so that I set login, password, smtp host etc. but only phpmailer worked. I think your first suggestion is correct that the problem is with ehlo domain impersonating, phpmailer has customized configuration.

Back