Extra Spam filtering ?

hostu

Verified User
hi all, well SB 4 is doing a good job, but i still get 75-80 spam emails a day on some accounts, so i am trying an external spam filtering service, hopefully it gets most and sb will get most of the leftovers,, here is the problem - i can see the blocked span in the control panel of the new spam service so i know the new mx records are working, i can see what is sent to my server as good emails for the domain filtered, by tailing the rejectlog, but emails for the domain are being rejected for authentication reasons-- the domain being filtered is hostu.org -- pasted from the tail below list the H=bolt7b.mxthunder.net [208.53.48.191] which is the filtering co. and i believe this is the problem, but where in the exim config and what should i put there to allow this filtering mail sent to be accepted,, any help is welcome and i will post any extra info you might need to help me resolve this..
thanks
chuck

2012-04-27 09:08:28 H=(exchange.multi-load.net) [200.35.148.179] F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: Email blocked by b.barracudacentral.org
2012-04-27 09:09:24 login authenticator failed for 69-2-83-239.static.networktel.net (TeamVRemote) [69.2.83.239]: 535 Incorrect authentication data ([email protected])
2012-04-27 09:09:40 H=bolt7b.mxthunder.net [208.53.48.191] F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: authentication required
2012-04-27 09:09:40 H=bolt7b.mxthunder.net [208.53.48.191] F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: authentication required

update
it looks like *.mxthunder.net needs to relay to the server, how can this be set in the exim config to allow them to relay to my server ? thanks again for any help
chuck

Last edited:
Your entire post confuses me. SpamBlocker won't block any email at all if it all comes from your front-end spam-filtering service; it blocks based on the IP# the mail is coming from, and since that's your front-end service you want it to work.

Quick and dirty fix would be to whitelist the IP#s of the servers at your external service.

Jeff

thanks for the post Jeff, i did whitelist their ip#s but so far i still get the emails for the domain hostu.org as being relayed from the spam service and of course they are refused, you can see below in the log excerpt, looks a thought i might not be able to use this external filtering !

2012-04-28 14:32:27 H=bolt7b.mxthunder.net [208.53.48.191] F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: relay not permitted, authentication required
2012-04-28 14:32:27 H=bolt7b.mxthunder.net [208.53.48.191] incomplete transaction (RSET) from <[email protected]>

just notice even gmail can not send while the spam service is active, tuned on and off to check
2012-04-28 14:24:08 H=mail-lpp01m010-f42.google.com [209.85.215.42] F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: authentication required

I don't know the problem, then, because as long as [email protected] is on your machine, you shouldn't need authentication. What port are they sending email to? You should be getting their email on port 25. Have you tried troubleshooting using the exim exim -bh 1.2.3.4 command, where 1.2.3.4 is replaced by the IP# of the external service machine?

Jeff

ok, i did get this resolved, just a misconfiguration i made in the mx record settings, see how smart i be :>)

ok, in my simple test after abt 3 weeks i see no real improvement of what sb4 catches, the junk mail i 'm receiving is shown by that which is filtered by gmail after it is forwarded to them from my da server, must say gmail seems to have a good spam/junk filter, my conclusion for now is that sb4 catches just as much as the outsourced span service i was trying... not gonna pay for that :)

Back