Fedora Core 3

jodasi

Verified User
Hello People

I'm thinking of installing a webserver that will use Directadmin as Control Panel.

My questions are:

What software is need to install?

Can i install directadmin at our office, and then change the ip whem moving to Datacenter? I think licence is assigned to IP.

Did i have to see special details when partitioning?

Did you agree with OS choice? or has any trouble with it?

Regards

jodasi said:
What software is need to install?
The requirements may be found here.
Can i install directadmin at our office, and then change the ip whem moving to Datacenter? I think licence is assigned to IP.
If you have an extra static IP# and if you know how to route it to your server, then you can buy the license for that IP# and install it at your office, but if you do, when you move the server to your data center you'll have to write DA sales and wait for them to change the IP# before you can run it at your data center.

If you don't have an extra static IP# then you can't, because the license is assigned to the IP# and DA will not accept an order for a non-routable IP#.
Did i have to see special details when partitioning?
Plenty of folk just use the standard default partitioning scheme.

We don't.

We use:

/ 1 Gig
/var 10 Gig
/usr 10 Gig
/tmp 2 Gig
<swap> 2 Gig
/home <balance>
Did you agree with OS choice? or has any trouble with it?
We'd never use Fedora on a working production server because the Fedora project only guarantees security updates for it for a total of one year.

We use CentOS, an open source (free as in beer, free as in speech) compilation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It has fully supported security update for at least four years.

Jeff

So i think i wiil opt for CentOS, the security updates are very importants.

1. Is there any similarity with red hat structure? CentOS?

2. Will i have problems, if importing FC2 account to it?

3. "All we need is a clean install of Redhat", what did they wanna meen by clean?

Last edited:
CentOS is based on RHEL 3.x, which is actually based on RHL9.

You shouldn't have any problem moving sites to it.

A clean install means an install on which you haven't already done anything else; you've installed it, and then you've installed CentOS.

Jeff

Back