Forum terribly slow!

This is pretty weird, they haven't post anything in the maintenance section about moving the forums. Browsing to /forum also gives me a 404 (instead of a redirect?).

I also noticed it's slower. But all links do link to the new one, including /forum/ -- only not without the trailing /

Also I'm missing the blue dot as favicon :)

Indeed... /forum gives a 404 and /forum/ gives a redirect to the subdomain name where it's now.
So still something not working quite correct. I don't know if this has anything to do with the slowness.
It's a bit better now. When I posted this topic, it took a minute or a little bit more just to load the newreply.php.

Hello,

A few days back, we moved the forum to a new box to reduce the load on our main system.
The forum box is now in a different datacenter.

As for the slowness, I had setup an iptables rate limiting on port 80 to prevent pounding on the box..
I've since disabled that rate limit, as I too was noticing it wasn't working as fast as it should have.
Hopefully this should speed things up!

John

John, please redirect /forums (without / at the end) to forums.directadmin.com.

I've just created the empty "forum" directory, which appears to have done the trick.
It will redirect /forum to /forum/, and /forum/ to forum.da.com.

John

I don't see the blue dot. It's still the V from vbulletin. So I guess the favicon.ico is in the wrong place somewhere.:)
But the forums seem to work on normal speed again, thank you!

Strange.... I tried that before I wrote my comment, but nothing happened so I thought it was wrong.
Now I come back and it's oke, so I guess IE had not cleared the cache as should be. I could have known because the direct link to the favicon.ico was working correctly before.
Thanks!

Yeah, the favicon.ico files are bad for sticking in a cache... updating them in your url bar or favorites sometimes takes a while, unless forced.

This new box should be immensely faster: faster DC, much faster box, and likely a shorter distance to most people, not to mention being removed from the other DA services like the licensing system, knowledge-base and versions system.

John

Just a little notice.

You have to change paths in the vBulletin setup I guess, because profile pages are not visible anymore.
If you click on a persons profile name, you will get an error 500 page.

Back