FreeBSD: End-of-life for all FreeBSD Operating Systems: January 1st, 2022

@mmx Your going to have a problem and be unable to update/maintain a patched system, unless you want to do everything yourself at your own risk. And if there is any bugs/problems in the control panel I wouldn't expect any help.

I retired all my FreeBSD DA servers a while ago (the rest of my network is still mostly FreeBSD for infrastructure/DNS/storage/etc... Front web/virtualization facing stuff is mostly Debian).

I do not expect DA to release any more updates for FreeBSD, you should really move on to a supported system. Were coming up on a year after EOL, they were nice enough to release one last update to help with migration.

Just my 2 cents... Won't say anything else.
I get it. I'm well aware of the implications of running an unsupported system. As long as DirectAdmin continues to function (for the few tasks I prefer to do via a control panel) I can build the supporting packages myself. For fun.

I'm only asking the developers if they have completely removed FreeBSD builds from their CI/CD pipelines, and if the last version (1.642) is final. That's all I'm asking for and nothing else.

I have no plans or desire to downgrade to an inferior operating system to provide web & email services. As previously mentioned, I'm shutting down my hosting business and throwing 6 lifetime DA licenses into the trash. I've already migrated majority of my clients to other providers. My last DA box is 90% for my own services/projects, and I could care less if DA is officially supported or not.

That is correct. 1.642 is the final version available for FreeBSD. We have made it compatible with our new licensing system, so even though there won't be more updates, it should hopefully remain functional (maintain licensing) for a long time.

We have no regrets supporting FreeBSD in the past but ultimately the numbers didn't match the passion people have for this operating system. With a majority lifetime-license model & less than 1 in 1000 licenses using FreeBSD, it became impractical to maintain development for eternity.

That is correct. 1.642 is the final version available for FreeBSD. We have made it compatible with our new licensing system, so even though there won't be more updates, it should hopefully remain functional (maintain licensing) for a long time.
Thank you for the clear and concise answer.

Thank you for the clear and concise answer.
Which was already given before, which you didn't want to see and which was again given by me as the same answer and was stated by DA in the link I posted to.
Sleep on. And indeed... I won't fastly answer anything from you anymore.

Which was already given before, which you didn't want to see and which was again given by me as the same answer and was stated by DA in the link I posted to.
Sleep on. And indeed... I won't fastly answer anything from you anymore.
Weren't you supposed to stop answering or discussing this topic as previously stated? You seem to lack integrity on the matter.

You don't work for DirectAdmin, so your "answers" are meaningless. In fact, your approach to helping people is basically telling people to RTFM by directing them to the wrong page.

A quick note from the technical side of things.

As FreeBSD systems became EOL they automatically switched to a dedicated EOL release channel - it no longer follows alpha, beta, current or stable release channels like normal DirectAdmin instances, but always tries freebsd release channel. This is to prevent FreeBSD systems for reacting to the latest releases while still giving us an option to push-out new release if needed. Same is true for other EOL systems.

That being said we will not be releasing any new versions:
  • in DA 1.643 CustomBuild completely dropped FreeBSD support
  • in DA 1.645 all remaining scripts in scripts directory no longer supports FreeBSD
  • in DA 1.646 support for init.d were dropped from the main DA binary (only systemd is supported)
  • and in future version we expect to remove the remaining more than a 100 #ifdef __FreeBSD__ code blocks from the DA binary code base.
However we are keeping an option to release a new build for FreeBSD of the same DA 1.642 version if there is something critical we would like to patch.

LoL, sorry, that Boo just made me laugh.
Pity for you as you were really starting to like it. I didn't know it was that old and that little used.

And luckily for me as I just wanted to install it to see how it looks and feels. Maybe I still do it for fun. Otherwise I'm going to do some Debian testing too.

But I can really imagine that DA stops support for it. Seems logical to me.
I use Debian a lot of years and happy user :)

Back