Freshclam fails on missing iconv

Adding `--without-libiconv-prefix` or `--with-libiconv-prefix=/usr` to the clamav compile options does not seem to work for me...

Was your ClamAV installed using CustomBuild? May you try "./build remove_clamav" and then "./build clamav" again?

As far as I remember it was installed using CB. But I've tried your suggestions. No change though :-(

My server is running Debian 10.7

As far as I remember it was installed using CB. But I've tried your suggestions. No change though :-(

My server is running Debian 10.7
I may check it free of charge for you if you wish, just PM the the details.

Thanks for helping out Martynas! It turned out to be my server specific (some old libraries hanging around).

And more errors, as always in recent months, untested changes that break other services in production, for months we have been waiting for this problem to be solved with "libiconv", far from being solved, more errors related to it appear, why not just not introduce php 8 support in custombuild if it is not well implemented.

Code:
Latest version of ClamAV: 0.103.1
Installed version of ClamAV: 0.103.0

ClamAV 0.103.0 to 0.103.1 update is available.

Code:
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/clamav-0.103.1/libfreshclam'
Making all in clamscan
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/clamav-0.103.1/clamscan'
  CC       clamscan.o
  CC       manager.o
  CCLD     clamscan
../libclamav/.libs/libclamav.so: undefined reference to `libiconv'
../libclamav/.libs/libclamav.so: undefined reference to `libiconv_close'
../libclamav/.libs/libclamav.so: undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [clamscan] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/clamav-0.103.1/clamscan'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/clamav-0.103.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Code:
Latest version of PHP-XMLRPC 8.0: 8.0.2
Installed version of PHP-XMLRPC 8.0: 0

PHP-XMLRPC 8.0: 0 to 8.0.2 update is available.

XMLRPC in PHP 8?

Since we added and installed php 8, all are problems related to libiconv, a library that is used by various services, which with each update are affected by the changes introduced by CB, we have tried all the tips that have been published in the forum, we have tried a "build all d", we have deleted all our customizations and nothing, most of the threads that we see that nobody talks about it anymore, after the typical response requesting access to the server (we cannot give access), the solution is not published and is not fixed in CB.

It is sad and frustrating that this happens.

I'm sorry.

I prefer to forget about installing php 8, it is clear that it is not yet ready to be used in certain configurations, so I have deactivated it, but at least I would like to be able to recover the status of the rest of the services and be able to update ClamAV.

The OS is a CentOS 7, updated to the latest version, and right now the only service that is not updated is ClamAV due to the error mentioned already, I have seen that there are two different iconv binaries:

Code:
[root@eadu custombuild]# /usr/local/bin/iconv --version
iconv (GNU libiconv 1.16)
Copyright (C) 2000-2019 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Written by Bruno Haible.
[root@eadu custombuild]# /usr/bin/iconv --version
iconv (GNU libc) 2.17
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Written by Ulrich Drepper.

I have looked in the "build" script for references to libiconv and I no longer see the install or remove this.

Why do I have two iconv binaries in different paths and different versions?

Do you have a custom_versions text file?

What does whereis iconv give?

Last edited:
I prefer to forget about installing php 8, it is clear that it is not yet ready to be used in certain configurations, so I have deactivated it, but at least I would like to be able to recover the status of the rest of the services and be able to update ClamAV.

The OS is a CentOS 7, updated to the latest version, and right now the only service that is not updated is ClamAV due to the error mentioned already, I have seen that there are two different iconv binaries:

Code:
[root@eadu custombuild]# /usr/local/bin/iconv --version
iconv (GNU libiconv 1.16)
Copyright (C) 2000-2019 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Written by Bruno Haible.
[root@eadu custombuild]# /usr/bin/iconv --version
iconv (GNU libc) 2.17
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Written by Ulrich Drepper.

I have looked in the "build" script for references to libiconv and I no longer see the install or remove this.

Why do I have two iconv binaries in different paths and different versions?
last day we have some issue, using centos 7.

after da build remove_old_local libiconv, make sure remove old iconv from custombuild (remove software) because after that command system have 2 version libconv and then da build all

good luck

Back