From Almalinux: Easily migrate between major versions of RHEL-based distributions from 7.x to 8.x.

Active8

Verified User

ELevate Your Distribution​

ELevate enables migration between major versions of RHEL® derivatives. Easily go from CentOS 7.x to any 8.x of your choice

Major Version Upgrades​

It wasn't possible--until now. Easily migrate between major versions of RHEL-based distributions from 7.x to 8.x. Preserve your applications, your data, and your sanity. Run the most recent version of the OS and software you need.

Looks good to be true, inplace upgrade from 7 to 8 and choice from Almalinux. Oracle, Centos or Rockylinux

Last edited:
Just saw an post of @smtalk on other forum:
We haven't tested it out yet, but it should work just fine with DirectAdmin. We'd suggest executing the following after the upgrade:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build all

Would be nice in the near future if there would be a CloudLinux 7 to 8 upgrade path.

Opened a uservoice idea to vote on:

Last edited:
This was a question that popped up in my mind the same day it got answered. Nice. It's good to see this is possible. Just a question for the Dutchies among us: how does that work when you're using TransIP? I don't want to mess up a production server, so I'd like to know beforehand. As in, do you have to select versions first, or does TransIP use ELevate to make the upgrade go from CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 8? It would be my first time performing a major upgrade

n for the Dutchies among us: how does that work when you're using TransIP? I don't want to mess up a production server, so I'd like to know beforehand. As in, do you have to select versions first, or does TransIP use ELevate to make the upgrade go from CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 8? It would be my first time performing a major upgrade
NOT sure.
But DA license then there not matching OS that i know for sure as it is state for about 2 months ago!

Just a question for the Dutchies among us: how does that work when you're using TransIP?
We have an backup box with DA + Centos 7 installed at Transip, but one thing we have different we didn't rent DA license per month we have paid it off with one time fee.
I assume that Transip can change this or its isn't needed at all because these are internal licenses, I am not sure

Maybe someone from DA sales dept can enlight us :) @DirectAdmin Sales

Sometime I forgot to change os in directadmin.conf and use in product around a month without notice and no problem on interface ( :2222 )
(Centos 7 Binary DA on my Centos 8 Product)

If you can't login to Client Area, You still can change OS with dirrctadmin.conf

just set to "ES%208.0%2064" and re-update binary

If it's a license from your provider (internal license) it means the license is their property and usable only on their network, so you would have to contact them for an IP or OS change. They are the only ones with the ability to modify license IP. :)

Last edited:
If it's a license from your provider (internal license) it means the license is their property and usable only on their network, so you would have to contact them for an IP change. They are the only ones with the ability to modify license IP. :)
They mentioned OS VERSION change, not IP change , but yes is probably almost the same . ;)

Therefore my reaction: "Support Ticket". but meaning at Hoster Transip not at DA sorry when misunderstanding.

I have plans to test this "in place upgrade" on a Centos 7 box with DA , are there any users on this forum who had tried this before?

I have plans to test this "in place upgrade" on a Centos 7 box with DA , are there any users on this forum who had tried this before?
No but take care before you are doing this.
Network parts are different probably, so look into it, depending where and how you get you network and ip's to outside.
( if cloudinit is used for example for some network related you have to know, also cloudinit sometimes initial first set / boot some only one time)

If there changes needed you have to know.

I have / had problems cloudinit and network related centos 7 centos 8 on openstack for all multiple ip and also ipv6 no was not a update but yes there are diferences , long time ago and not all solved yet while no time, also not remember exact. ( networkmanager and so)

Hi,

I have update a directadmin with centos 7 to almalinux 8 using elevate, so the considerations in my case:

• This was a very old install of DA, so the package "da_exim" was included and cant be uninstalled or upgraded by the process, why? the uninstallation depends of chkconfig and this fails on centos 7, to pass this situation you need to create a "placebo chkconfig":
This needs to be done before the upgrade to alma/rocky linux 8:
Code:
mv /usr/sbin/chkconfig /usr/sbin/chkconfig.orig
touch /usr/sbin/chkconfig
chmod +x /usr/sbin/chkconfig
yum remove da_exim -y

After remove the package: (this remove exim from the system too but after upgrade with ./build all exim will be back)

Code:
rm -f /usr/sbin/chkconfig
mv /usr/sbin/chkconfig.orig /usr/sbin/chkconfig

• The network interfaces names:

If your working with ethX names, this will be lost after the upgrade, so you will need to workaround this , two options:

You need KVM access to the server(ipmi/idrac/ilo for bare metal or htm5 console for vm) as the ssh access will not be available

1- Rename at config level:

check the name of the interface at the system:
Code:
cat /proc/net/dev

As you know the new name of the network interface, you can rename the config:
Code:
mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-NewName
sed -i 's/ethX/NewName/g' /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-NewName

2- Get the old name back:
Code:
in  /etc/sysconfig/grub add at the end of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT net.ifnames=0, example:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="${GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT} systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1 psi=1 net.ifnames=0"

after that upgrade the grub config:

grub2-mkconfig

• Override the OS in directadmin.conf (only if you don't want to change it at license level) and redownload directadmin:

Code:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/poralix/directadmin-utils/master/core/updateda.sh
chmod +x updateda.sh
./updateda.sh save_os --os=c10
./updateda.sh stable --os=c10
  • Enable the power-tools repo

Code:
dnf config-manager --set-enabled powertools

• Re-run pre-install commands after the upgrade:

Code:
https://docs.directadmin.com/getting-started/installation/overview.html

• the imap extension for php:
even you go for "./build all" , uw-imap isnt recompiled if the path exist(and if exist its for centos 7 and not compatible with alma/rocky), so you need to remove it first:

Code:
rm -rf /usr/local/uw-imap

• This package isnt available in Alma/Rocky linux 8, I don't know is totally necessary, but when you re-install/upgrade mariadb you can see the error:

Code:
No match for argument: perl-PlRPC

• The last step: custombuild

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/
./build update
./build update_script
./build clean
./build clean_old_webapps
./build all

After all, reboot the system and all will be working fine :)

That was my experience with elevate...

What is elevate?

Also... thank you for the things you did.
This is elevate:

Reference of use:

But I hope if it's not modern DA install, things will be a lot easier.
This was a old directadmin install, but is updated to the last version of DA/custombuild/packages/services , the unique difference (i think) will be the problem with the package "da_exim".

@dmtinc thanks for pointing me to right direction, our first attempt was not successful pre-upgrade command gave lot of problems .
I hope that we can accomplish an manual with copy paste command so that other can benefit .

Sadly I cant find the sequence where you start with the update command of Almalinux, was that after the network config ?

I am going to give it an second chance :)

EDIT: here is how i did it: https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/how-to-inplace-upgrade-from-centos-7-to-almalinux-8-5.64994/

Last edited:
Back