From Apache to nginx

mkniskanen

Verified User
I have a backup server running DA with nginx only and the combination seems to work.

Now I have three other servers with DA and I would like to get rid of Apache completely. The servers now have iptables rules for port 80 -> 81 where nginx is listening. I have updated all DA instances to the latest. Apache is now only running to keep DA happy (it was first installed with only Apache available).

Is there a script or a set of instructions that would help me do the trick(s) needed so that I could close Apache for good?

Last edited:
Please use CustomBuild 2.0 (http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=44743), if you'd like to use Nginx instead of Apache.

I am well aware of Custombuild 2.0 and below. I have build one server nginx-only using Custombuild 2.0 and I know building from sratch works (and running three servers using the old CB). The question is:

I have three production servers running a system build 1-4 years ago using Custombuild. Can Custombuild 2.0 convert the old Apache based systems to Nginx without breaking the configuration competely? The documentation (the link you provided) does not really answer that question. If it does what are the steps needed?

Or - can I drop Apache manually? DA used to test whether Apache was alive listening to port 80. If I drop it and replace it with nginx will the current version of DA mind?

Last edited:
It won't break anything :) Just upgrade to CB 2.0, set webserver=nginx in the options.conf and that's it.

Back