Gallery 2.2.2 installation errors. Is this a DA/Installatron bug?

evil_smurf

Verified User
When installing gallery 2 I get the following screen full of errors:

Warning: realpath() [function.realpath]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/home/eggycrew) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/eggycrew/:/tmp:/usr/local/lib/php/) in /home/eggycrew/domains/eggycrew.com/public_html/gallery/modules/core/classes/GalleryPlatform.class on line 891

Warning: realpath() [function.realpath]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/local/lib/php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/eggycrew/:/tmp:/usr/local/lib/php/) in /home/eggycrew/domains/eggycrew.com/public_html/gallery/modules/core/classes/GalleryPlatform.class on line 891

Warning: realpath() [function.realpath]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/home/eggycrew) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/eggycrew/:/tmp:/usr/local/lib/php/) in /home/eggycrew/domains/eggycrew.com/public_html/gallery/modules/core/classes/GalleryPlatform.class on line 891

Warning: realpath() [function.realpath]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/local/lib/php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/eggycrew/:/tmp:/usr/local/lib/php/) in /home/eggycrew/domains/eggycrew.com/public_html/gallery/modules/core/classes/GalleryPlatform.class on line 891

Warning: realpath() [function.realpath]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/bin/unzip) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/eggycrew/:/tmp:/usr/local/lib/php/) in /home/eggycrew/domains/eggycrew.com/public_html/gallery/modules/core/classes/GalleryPlatform.class on line 891

This happens right after I click "activate modules". This is on a generic DirectAdmin/Installatron box running CentOS 4. As you can see the paths it is calling for, such as "/home/eggycrew", would not be generating this error if there was an additional "/" at the end of it! Is this a Gallery 2, DA, or Installatron bug? Or is it a bug at all?

I haven't changed any configuration regarding open_basedir. All I did was enable it for this user. Safemode is off, open_basedir is on.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

The Gallery script is not compatible with safe_mode or DA's default open_basedir configuration. If you want to keep open_basedir enabled, each path Gallery needs to access must be added to the open_basedir restriction. In the error you pasted, that includes /home/eggycrew (without the trailing slash--not sure why Gallery is even trying to access that though), /usr/local/lib/ and /usr/bin/. It's easier to just leave open_basedir off.

Phil

Wouldn't leaving open_basedir off be a huge security risk? It is my understanding that not having either safe mode or open_basedir enabled allows php scripts to read/write files under practically any directory that the webserver has access to. Or is that incorrect?

Back