Hardware setup is it enuf?

benzon

Verified User
Okay havent orderet my dedicated server yet, just wanted a final input before doing so

I was thinking about getting this

CPU: 1x AMD Sempron 3100
Ram: 512MB DDR2
HD: 1x160 GB SATA II

My only thaut right now is, can this "small" server host 30-50 webpages, with lets say hmm 2000-3000 Visitors pr hour shared over all the 30-50 webpages

Your gonna want more ram then 512mb. That processor is only 1.8ghz too will it be enough to run what you want. It will all probably matter how loaded your webserver is.

That server seems very low. You shouldnt be paying more then $40/month USD for something with those specs. Guess it matters how much bandwidth is included too though.

havent orderet it yet like i said :) - but its abit under $40/month USD and 2000gb traffic

The other choise i got in mind wood be

CPU: 1x Intel Core Duo T2450 CPU
Ram: 1GB DDR2
HD: 1x160 GB SATA II
2000gb traffic to hehe
------------------
The last option wood be

CPU: 1x Intel Dual-Core E2180 CPU
Ram: 2GB DDR2
HD: 2 x 250GB SATA II Harddisk

Same traffic

And without knowing precisely what you're going to host, it would be impossible to even guess which of these servers you should be using.

Jeff

Personal websites / Wordpress blogs / Photo Gallerys(One of the things i wanna hit on)

Ehm and maybe my own personal webshop, thats about it.

Like i said arround 30-50 costumers ad a time

Well photos will definately increase the load on the webserver. I would definately go with at least 1gig ram.

Ye i can follow you scsi, just that of imagemagic, i use that alot my self that uses abit everytime it have to scale images so on.

but in the end my goal is to make a small webhost for the every John/Jane Doe, fair pricing, low ammount of costumers on the server, and a good quality. nothing i shut get rich by just so i can run arround for it self

If you want to do low-priced hosting then you need a lot of sites per server. In that case you'll want at least one GB, maybe more. We generally build dedicated servers with one or two GB of memory these days, mostly two GB.

Jeff

Okay jlasman :)

Dont need a lot of sites per server, since its a spare time project :) - and i can make it run arround with 30-50 sites pr server, and still cash in a little doe

i have a lot of wordpress blogs on my servers too and they use quite a lot of ram and resources, i would suggest at least 1gb ram, 2gb would be better still.

Back