How can I move a reseller to another admin?

Richard G

Verified User
I know how to move users between resellers, but I don't know how to move a reseller to anoter admin.
Is the only way to do this editting the user.conf of the reseller and changing the creator name? Or is there another option (like a script or within DA)?

maybe same script will move reseller between admins, or edit manually all confs (old admin conf with reseller list, new admin reseller list, reseller conf for whom it belongs).

No I tried. Unless I remember wrong, I thought this was possible some years ago.
But it's not possible at this moment, because there is no way to select the current reseller. I was logged in as admin, but I could not select my reseller name there, it was blanked out. I only could select users.

same problem :-(

BUMP UP:

@fln @smtalk @DirectAdmin Support Any chance of making it possible to select reseller, so one can move reseller to another admin via the DA panel?

PS: I won't be needing it when this has been developed, but I just had to let know I was searching for this functionality and it is missing.
I assume we need to run these scripts one after another:
1) reseller_to_user.sh ( downgrade the reseller )
2) move_user_to_reseller.sh ( do the move to the other admins resel account)
3) user_to_reseller.sh ( upgrade back again )

I did not take the time to check if this all is correct though. Would be nice if someone confirms this is a working alternative way of dong the move.

I don't understand the point of moving to another admin since all admins have control of all users and resellers. Is it just for organization?

I am transferring users/resellers amongst servers (load balance), and I do not want to move the second admin. And I want to not have any resellers under the 'second' admin on the server I am migrating to to keep things clean (and because you cannot move the resellers, that's the whole point).

I know a second way, as I am thinking of it. I can rename the name of the second admin. When I then do a restore, DA will do it against the (first) admin.

Still seems pointless to me to first downgrade a reseller to a user and then upgrade him to reseller again.
And what happens with all the users under the reseller when you downgrade reseller to user?

For what you want, that is not necessary at all. We work the same way.
Just keep the reseller as he is. Then create on the other server an admin with the same package the reseller now has, or just add a package the reseller now has.

Then just use admin backup/transfer to transfer the reseller and it's user to the new server. Then as the admin there, restore the reseller, check if everything is ok and then restore his users too.
Nothing to it.

No need to use any second admin for this in any way on any server.

(and because you cannot move the resellers, that's the whole point).
Not by script, but it can be done manually via SSH as I stated in the initial post.

I see what you are saying. Sometimes I over-complicate things :)
Edit the conf file is easy. I overlooked it for that reason!

Back