How often should Linux OS Reboot or Restart?

mentik_yusmantara

Verified User
Hi,

i confused about rebooting Linux OS, some people say restarted when kernel update (maybe 1 years), and the other hand some said need restart frequently like 1 week or 1 month...
My big Question in this thread: Should a reboot after updating major web service like Nginx and Php? cause i do that and i need to know is that good or not
How about you? And why?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
To give you an idea, this is one of my VPS nodes
top - 10:31:28 up 309 days, 9:34, 1 user, load average: 3.52, 2.89, 2.80
It also uses KernelCare, updates on the fly.

As for compiling, if they use openssl, then everything using it should be restarted, not necessarily reboot the server.

To give you an idea, this is one of my VPS nodes

It also uses KernelCare, updates on the fly.

As for compiling, if they use openssl, then everything using it should be restarted, not necessarily reboot the server.
Thanks, Peter Laws for the screenshot, its almost 2 years,,,
Just looked Kernel Care softaware site ... (y)

Linux is just great, we also only reboot our servers after a kernel update, because we don't use kernelcare.

Mostly it's not needed to reboot it for anything else, unless an odd issue is occuring which in some cases might be solved by a reboot, but normally it's not necessary. It's a great OS.

Linux is just great, we also only reboot our servers after a kernel update, because we don't use kernelcare.

Mostly it's not needed to reboot it for anything else, unless an odd issue is occuring which in some cases might be solved by a reboot, but normally it's not necessary. It's a great OS.
Yes, Linux is great OS, specially for server, i think
Because i use Windows at my personal computer,
Tried use Linux in 2017, its hard, little software compatible and driver, ;)
But there lot of alternative software and yes its FREE
They make super dedication to create that OS and the softwares.

I feel like it's worth mentioning, if you're rebooting because of kernel updates - look into kexec. It's basically a reboot, but instead of dropping everything and going back through the BIOS and grub menus, the new kernel is immediately loaded after the system shuts down.

This can give faster reboots, since you're not having to go through all of the motions. But still is a reset and your uptime will start over. And depending on how many users you have on your server and it's setup, you will probably experience thundering herd for the first few minutes of the boot cycle.

Tried use Linux in 2017, its hard, little software compatible and driver,;)
That depends on which distro you're using. Might be better with Fedora or Ubuntu or Mint. However, if you want to use it for gaming, it's not suitable. There are games running under Linux (getting more) but most are still developped for Windows.
Which is the reason I also run Windows on my personal pc. :)

I feel like it's worth mentioning, if you're rebooting because of kernel updates - look into kexec. It's basically a reboot, but instead of dropping everything and going back through the BIOS and grub menus, the new kernel is immediately loaded after the system shuts down.

This can give faster reboots, since you're not having to go through all of the motions. But still is a reset and your uptime will start over. And depending on how many users you have on your server and it's setup, you will probably experience thundering herd for the first few minutes of the boot cycle.
Thanks Sparek...
For explaining that process
I also looking at RAM usage, after reboot i saw the RAM usage like buffer/cache not full cleared.
But when i shutdown for a minute, the RAM fully cleared...

That depends on which distro you're using. Might be better with Fedora or Ubuntu or Mint. However, if you want to use it for gaming, it's not suitable. There are games running under Linux (getting more) but most are still developped for Windows.
Which is the reason I also run Windows on my personal pc. :)
Thanks Richard G
I tried ubuntu, its great OS, there some software already installed.
I also try inkscape to create design, also tried office program, forget that software's name
And yes, that's true, Game is limited,

There's another reason for why you might want to reboot every so often that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that is to run a filesystem check. You can't (safely) run fsck against mounted filesystems, so a reboot will be necessary. Normally filesystems are fine for a very long time, but a filesystem corruption might not reveal itself early on. Whether or not a fsck is run on the next boot is decided typically either by the number of mounts done without a fsck, or with time passed since last fsck. You can also usually force a fsck to run on next boot if you suspect corruption.

There's another reason for why you might want to reboot every so often that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that is to run a filesystem check. You can't (safely) run fsck against mounted filesystems, so a reboot will be necessary. Normally filesystems are fine for a very long time, but a filesystem corruption might not reveal itself early on. Whether or not a fsck is run on the next boot is decided typically either by the number of mounts done without a fsck, or with time passed since last fsck. You can also usually force a fsck to run on next boot if you suspect corruption.
Thanks Kristian about mentioned fsck checker,
I use VPS, i not yet run fsck until now,
i saw in windows, filesystem checked when a boot get failed...
So linux did it similary, right? Or what command to do it for the next reboot OS?
To ensure Linux OS filesystem running in well state

Back