How to create 'rsyncable' backups in Direct Admin

CAISC

Verified User
How to create 'rsyncable' backups in Direct Admin

I wish to know that are zstd compressed backup files in DA are 'rsyncable' like .tar.gz files that are created in cPanel.

When I try to rsync zstd compressed backups, it seems to be overwriting all files again, not syncing.

Thanks

You can change to .tar.gz by setting the backup_gzip=1 and zstd=0 in the directadmin.conf file and restart directadmin.

However I'm not sure if that fixes your synching issue. You can test that.

You dont have to use zstd. if you prefer tgz you can switch to that. zstd is just on by default. The info on these is in the Dircadmin conf link i sent you yesterday.

/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin set zstd 0 (or 1 if you use it for email only.)
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin set backup_gzip 1
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin set zip 1
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin set pigz "# of cores"

Yes dont forget to restart DA

Last edited:
Yep, you were writing the same time I was just pushing my answer button. :) I beat you to it.
However, now he (and others) also has the command instructions to do it too. :)

I suppose zstd compression is faster then tar.gz. Well did some google search and stats are there that say so.

No matter what the compression format is are they 'rsyncable'? Thats the primary question.

I had a discussion with DA support team member John and it seems they are not 'rsyncable' because DA does not create 'rsyncable' backups by default.

Also verified syncing zstd file backups via rsync command, they all are getting overwritten and not synced.

Wonder why this feature to create 'rsyncable' backups not implemented by default.

John was kind enough to create a merge request for review on the above mentioned task, if it gets implemented DA will support 'rsyncable' backups infew days.

without 'rsyncable' backups, its a never ending task to backup several TB of data on backup servers.

How others are doing it, eager to know abt it.

Are you using push or pull backups? I use pull backups as they are more secure and don't create heavy load during pulling.

So in short
DA makes the backup only. Then a separate backup server connects to the DA server pulls then off to the backup server.

The feedback system is here.
It is for feature request to DA.

Request for more complete backups is here.

I will add this for you as well. just for more detail.

I use snapshot, rsync files locally and remotely for backup.

DA built-in backup is a full backup. It uses CPU and time to generate.
Rsync DA backup files transfer in full size (not incremental).

without 'rsyncable' backups, its a never ending task to backup several TB of data on backup servers.
We solved this by own backup script, so we make DA backups without domains directory content. Then separately full backup of domains directory and differential backups (just new/modified data) next days.
If you don't want to pay for ready incremental backup plugins - you can find some ready free simplified scripts, or you can make everyday backups locally but transfer to remote server just few times a week, like every third backup.

with "rsyncable" backup I meant, backing up and synchronizing data among two servers for the same backup files.

I was in touch with DA team and received this update from DA team directly -

"rsyncable" backup feature just been been added and will be (likely) in the next release.
To my knowledge, this was the first time it was brought up (possible it was missed if it was on the forum). Either way, glad you mentioned it so the backup files can be far more efficiently transferred with rsync. Thank you! :)

I would like to thank DA team for the same.

Firstly, You have to create a backup and also store the file on your remote backup storage platform and then wait for the confirmation e-mail that send on your email that your backup is ready.
After that you have to login to the new DirectAdmin server and restore the account from the remote location.
Note:
Don't forget to change the server's IP address

My friend jhona are you simply posting to increase your post count or to test forum features?
Don't post useless messages without reading the context.

This feature has been added to DirectAdmin Version 1.63.5
They made a typo in the DirectAdmin Docs, as this version was released on 2022-01-20 (not 2021-01-20)

You can find the information here:

Thank you DA team for implementing on such short notice.

Back