how to fix SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Wanabo

Verified User
Although LetsEncrypt succesfully generates a ssl certificate for domain.example, it presents the ssl certificate of the server hostname when visiting domain.example.
Resulting in a SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for www.domain.example. The certificate is only valid for host.servername.nl.

When ignoring this warning and proceed I get a "is functioning normally".
Perhaps this is the standard page for the hostname, but the domain-name is correctly shown.

How to fix?

Last edited:
Seems you fix it already? Otherwise tell me which site the issue has please?

Because on the forums I do not encounter this issue with Firefox.

It is partly fixed by uploading an older backup.
User admin seems ok now, it has the forum you visited.
The other user some sites don't work because they have an other ip than the server. Still looking in to that.

The second server showed the same symptoms, because of the bad most recent backup I imported in an attempt to move sites to an other server to get them there running.

The second server seems to be fully functioning now after importing a backup. All sites are running under user admin. So perhaps something is not correct with the second user on the server where some sites are not working.

Hard to find causes when backups are already set back. If the new server has another hostname then most likey new SSL certificates are required, hopefully you don't have a server-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.da.direct hostname.

hopefully you don't have a server-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.da.direct hostname.
No I don't.

Just checked the second server, here are all so sites not loading, all using a different ip than the host.
The extra ip's are still shown in DA under IP management. And seems to be correctly assigned.

Where can I check (other than dns settings) if a domain has the correct ip?

Where can I check (other than dns settings) if a domain has the correct ip?
Check at your domain registrar if the correct nameservers are setup. If you change server, then most likely nameservers change too.

However, if you assigned seperate ip's to domains, so if they don't all share the default ip, then I don't know, never used assigned ip's yet.

Back