How to transfer mailboxes with content

arky_

Verified User
Hi,
How to transfer mailboxes with content to another operator who uses directadmin to their own server with directadmin?

yes, allso possible, but the backup system is pretty simple:
- create backup (you can create backup of only mail data)
- download backup (in /backups folder)
- upload backup on new server into the /backups folder (create if needed)
- restore backup on new server
done

A use case the backup system is good at

I made a copy but noticed that the copy contains all domains and I only need to transfer the settings of one domain and email box. I don't need to move the remaining pages.
How do I get the content of just that one domain now?

I cannot access ssh from the current operator from whom I want to transfer the contents of mailboxes.
Can I copy folders one-to-one and what?

You can make a backup on user level, and restore only the e-mails from it on the new server. (see my previous reply)

I tried to upload copies and restore it. There was a problem because on the previous hosting I had a different name and the backup failed because I have a license for 1 account. What now?

I understand that I have to upload the copy file to user_backups and not to admin_backups?

Last edited:
I uploaded to user_backups but from the user level I do not have the option to restore the backup and I have to enter the administrator level and then I can enter the path to user_backups but I get the same message.

Directadmin makes this very easy to do.

Use the built in DirectAdmin Admin or User Backup to just backup this user's mail directories. It will produce a backup file that can be restored from the GUI.

This ensures you don't run into permissions and timestamp issues. If you compress these files with tar by hand remember to preserve timestamps and permissions. Otherwise the mail will all have a different date on the new server.

I uploaded to user_backups but from the user level I do not have the option to restore the backup and I have to enter the administrator level and then I can enter the path to user_backups but I get the same message.
For user level, its the backups folder, might not exist yet (user_backups = reseller level backups, admin_backups = admin level backups)

Your backup is stored in /home/admin/admin_backup or /home/admin/user_backup (Depending on which tool you've used to make the backup).

If you want to restore it on the new server you should upload it to the same folder on the new server. Once it's uploaded here you can restore it from DirectAdmin's backup tool.

Ok. Managed to. I start the rebuild and I now have a backup option.

Back