How to translate the default interface?

Toontje

Verified User
Hi all!

This is probably a no-brainer and is most probably already answered 100 times, but how do i translate the default interface without losing all my work when the next update gets installed?

Is there some kind of language file or do i really have to dive into the HTML/PHP code to change the texts?

Thanks,

Ton.

Hello,

The default skin is not yet setup for language files, but if you want to manually edit the skin, you'll want to first make your own copy of it.

cd /usr/local/directadmin/data/skins
cp -R default my_default
cd my_default
# edit away! :)

John

So that's a "yes, you need to edit in the HTML/PHP files".
Two questions:
- What happens when the next update comes along? Will i lose all my changes?
- Why not make a language file and tags in the code so it's easier to translate and add/interchange languages?

Ton.

Hello,

1) the reason for the copying in my instructions is to prevent overwriting during the update. You'd use the new skin called my_default, and you'd leave "default" untouched.

2) We'll include the standard language tags for skins (as defined in the skins forum) for the new skin which we'll be releasing in the next few versions of DA (might be 2 or 3 releases away, not sure). We probably won't be changing the older skins.

For the older skins, the html has to be changed. In the newer skin (which isn't released yet), it would be a language file.

John

Back