I can send but not receive.

mtg4

I would post this in the other forum here but it was closed.

Anyway, my friend and I bought a server mainly to learn how things worked on the admin level (because what better way to learn than to do?).

So far we have purchased Directadmin, a vps running CentOS, and a domain at GoDaddy.

I've tried adding MX_records (even making sure there's a . at the end) but to no avail. I keep getting a 550 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected error in every sent mail.

I've tried edditing mx records on both the directadmin page and GoDaddy and iptables are empty so that's not the problem either. Any help?

Your mail is being sent to secureserver.net.

Code:
[root@server episode]# dig guffman.net MX

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 <<>> guffman.net MX
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 25187
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;guffman.net.                   IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
guffman.net.            3600    IN      MX      0 mail.guffman.net.
guffman.net.            3600    IN      MX      20 smtp.secureserver.net.
guffman.net.            3600    IN      MX      30 mailstore1.secureserver.net.

;; Query time: 203 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Thu Sep  9 18:43:33 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 111

[root@server episode]# dig mail.guffman.net

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 <<>> mail.guffman.net
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 28738
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mail.guffman.net.              IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.guffman.net.       3600    IN      CNAME   pop.secureserver.net.
pop.secureserver.net.   2581    IN      CNAME   pop.where.secureserver.net.
pop.where.secureserver.net. 279 IN      A       64.202.165.92

;; Query time: 437 msec
;; WHEN: Thu Sep  9 18:43:44 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 105

I noticed that but wasn't sure what to change it to.
I tried mail.guffman.net (what I set it up the pop and imap server to be) but it didn't seem to work.

Don't you want mail.guffman.net to point to your server instead of pop.secureserver.net? Why do you have a CNAME for mail.guffman.net instead of an A record?

That was GoDaddy's default setup.

If I add an A name for mail.guffman.net I get an error saying a CNAME is already in place. I tried deleting the CNAMES and added an A name for mail.guffman.net.

Didn't work.

What do you mean it didn't work? You could not delete the CNAMEs? Did you wait several hours so dns changes could be seen or were you expecting an immediate effect?

Never mind, I've decided to compile everything from source. It'll take a bit longer but I'll have more control over how things work. And the site was showing some signs of instability, especially from mysql.

And I meant by didn't work is I deleted the CNAMES, created an A name and waited overnight. I still couldn't receive mail.

I know it's overkill, but my friend and I decided we like command line better. But if you can still help with godaddy that's be wonderful. :)

You need an A record for mail.guffman.net and also the MX record for guffman.net should be mail.guffman.net.

I've moved the thread; it's now an Off-Topic Discussion because it's no longer about anything DirectAdmin related.

@mtg4:
It appears you're using DNS at GoDaddy rather than on the DirectAdmin server. If you want mail to work on your local server, whether you use DirectAdmin, or any other hosting control system, work from the command line, or even compile your entire system yourself in anything from Fortran to C++, you're still going to have to set up DNS properly, or you still won't get your mail. Your email has to get to your server first. If it's not getting to your server because your DNS is incorrect, then nothing else is going to fix it.

Jeff

Okay, good news is that this time I didn't get a 550 error. But when I check sendmail I still don't have any incoming mail.

[---@guffman ~]# mail
No mail for ---

Can I safely assume I've correctly set up GoDaddy's DNS?

All you need to do is at GoDaddy, set up an A record to mail.domain.etc with your IP from your DA server eg

mail A 123.123.123.123

Then set up a MX record to the mail.domain.etc, eg

mail.domain.etc. MX 5

And it should work

Note: this is our guide from our knowledge base to set up the basic DNS structure here if its some help.

Last edited:
GoDaddy only allows for IP addresses in the A field so I'm not sure how to add a mail.domain.com to it...

Here's my current DNS setup.

A record:

Host: Points to:
mail 66.197.184.106

MX record:

Priority: Host: Goes to:
0 @ mail.guffman.net

where @ is my domain name.

GoDaddy only allows for IP addresses in the A field so I'm not sure how to add a mail.domain.com to it...

That is what Peter told you to do, add an A record for mail.guffman.net with ip address 66.197.184.106 if that i is the ip at which you want to receive email.

It looks like you have done that now.

Code:
[root@openvz3 ~]# dig mail.guffman.net

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 <<>> mail.guffman.net
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 16660
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mail.guffman.net.              IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.guffman.net.       3600    IN      A       66.197.184.106

;; Query time: 118 msec
;; WHEN: Sun Sep 12 06:47:52 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 50

Okay, good news is that this time I didn't get a 550 error. But when I check sendmail I still don't have any incoming mail.
Just so you know: Since DirectAdmin doesn't use Sendmail, but rather Exim, making sure your Sendmail setup is correct is beyond the scope of the DirectAdmin forums.

Jeff

Just so you know: Since DirectAdmin doesn't use Sendmail, but rather Exim, making sure your Sendmail setup is correct is beyond the scope of the DirectAdmin forums.

Jeff

Ah, okay then.

At least I learned something about DNS records. Thanks for all you're help. I'll get it working eventually. :cool:

Back